* quoted printable and not 8bits when sending mail/news
@ 2007-04-25 15:00 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2007-04-25 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello

Sorry for the trivial question but how do I configure gnus such that
every outgoing message is mime coded with quoted printable instead of
8bits
gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
tells me (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
that means always use qp not 8 bits, correct?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: quoted printable and not 8bits when sending mail/news
@ 2007-04-29 11:38 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-04-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Apr 25 2007, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> how do I configure gnus such that every outgoing message is mime
> coded with quoted printable instead of 8bits
> gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
> tells me (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
> that means always use qp not 8 bits, correct?

Yes, I think so.  But every MTA (Mail transfer agent) on the way may
transfer it to 8bit and vice versa.  What is the problem you are
trying to solve?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: quoted printable and not 8bits when sending mail/news
@ 2007-05-08 11:16   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2007-05-08 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   > On Wed, Apr 25 2007, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> how do I configure gnus such that every outgoing message is mime
   >> coded with quoted printable instead of 8bits
   >> gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
   >> tells me (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
   >> that means always use qp not 8 bits, correct?

   > Yes, I think so.  But every MTA (Mail transfer agent) on the way may
   > transfer it to 8bit and vice versa.  What is the problem you are
   > trying to solve?

Thanks for your answer. Well it seemed that my message got encoded
with 8 bits instead of mime and somehow got corrupted.

It seems however that the culprit is gmail (I use the smtp server of
gmail). When using their setting coding
            Use default text encoding for outgoing messages
then that problem occurred. When I changed to
            Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages

Then that problem disappeared, although I am using xemacs 21.4.19 no
mule!!!

Uwe