* How to redefine keys?
@ 2005-02-20 21:36 Colin Paul Adams
From: Colin Paul Adams @ 2005-02-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Although I have been using gnus for many years, I have not been able
to rid myself of the habit of always using the r or R keys, even
though I often should be using the f or F keys.

Taking a hint from the FAQ, I tried adding the following to my .gnus
file:

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "r" gnus-summary-followup)
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "R" gnus-summary-followup-with-original)

but I get any error about the symbol gnus-summary-followup not being
defined.

What's the best way to go about doing this?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

* Re: How to redefine keys?
@ 2005-02-20 23:10 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-02-20 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Although I have been using gnus for many years, I have not been able
> to rid myself of the habit of always using the r or R keys, even
> though I often should be using the f or F keys.

You culd set `gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news' to t. (I don't recall
if this option is present in Gnus 5.9, though)

> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "r" gnus-summary-followup)
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "R" gnus-summary-followup-with-original)

This should be:

@ 2005-02-21  0:16 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found]   ` <cvc5sn$kgs$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-02-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Although I have been using gnus for many years, I have not been able
> to rid myself of the habit of always using the r or R keys, even
> though I often should be using the f or F keys.
>
> Taking a hint from the FAQ, I tried adding the following to my .gnus
> file:
>
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "r" gnus-summary-followup)
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "R" gnus-summary-followup-with-original)
>
> but I get any error about the symbol gnus-summary-followup not being
> defined.
>
> What's the best way to go about doing this?

An alternative approach - putting this in your .gnus will make Gnus
check whether you _really_ want to send an e-mail in reply instead of
following up

;; prompt for mail replies to newsgroups!!!!!
(defadvice gnus-summary-reply (around reply-in-news activate)
   (interactive)
   (when (or (not (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name))
             (y-or-n-p "REALLY reply with a personal mail? "))
     ad-do-it))

hth

Glyn

* Re: How to redefine keys?
@ 2005-02-21  8:19   ` Matt N. Jones
       [not found]   ` <cvc5sn$kgs$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: Matt N. Jones @ 2005-02-21  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> An alternative approach - putting this in your .gnus will make Gnus
> check whether you _really_ want to send an e-mail in reply instead of
> following up
>
> ;; prompt for mail replies to newsgroups!!!!!
> (defadvice gnus-summary-reply (around reply-in-news activate)
>    (interactive)
>    (when (or (not (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name))
>              (y-or-n-p "REALLY reply with a personal mail? "))
>      ad-do-it))

That's fantastic. I've been having exactly the same problem. I've lost
count of the number of times I've accidentally replied with a personal email
when I should have followed up to a newsgroup.

Thanks very much.

Matt

* Re: How to redefine keys?
       [not found]   ` <cvc5sn$kgs$1@news.sap-ag.de>
@ 2005-02-21 11:12     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-02-21 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@UseNet.ArcorNews.DE> writes:

> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> wrote:
>
>> ;; prompt for mail replies to newsgroups!!!!!
>> (defadvice gnus-summary-reply (around reply-in-news activate)
>>    (interactive)
>>    (when (or (not (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name))
>>              (y-or-n-p "REALLY reply with a personal mail? "))
>>      ad-do-it))
>
> It would be much easier to set the variable
> gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news.

How right you are!!

Glyn