* nnmail-expiry-wait, nnmail-expiry-wait-function and gnus-parameters
@ 2003-04-04 15:16 Peter Solodov
From: Peter Solodov @ 2003-04-04 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've installed recent version of Gnus (Oort Gnus v0.17) and found that
group parameters can now be specified in gnus-parameters variable.
This is a welcome change, I've always wanted to specify parameters
this way rather than in .newsrc.eld.  So I went on and partially did
it.  Here's what gnus-parameters is now:

   (("^nnml:\\(inbox.*\\|sent.*\\|junk\\)"
     (gnus-use-scoring nil)
     (adapt nil))
    ("^nnml:inbox$"
     (nnmail-expiry-wait 31))
    ("^nnml:sent$"
     (nnmail-expiry-wait 15))
    ("^nnml:junk$"
     (nnmail-expiry-wait 7))
    ("^nnml:reports.*"
     (gnus-show-threads nil)
     (gnus-signature-face nil)
     (gnus-use-scoring nil)
     (adapt nil)
    (nnmail-expiry-wait 30))
   ("^nnml:reports.newsflash.usenet"
    (nnmail-expiry-wait 7)))

Before that I used to specify expiry wait periods in
nnmail-expiry-wait-function, but now it kind of made sense to put
periods in gnus-parameters.  nnmail-expiry-wait is set to 'never.  I'm
using total expiry for all my mail.

So the question is will expiry process use gnus-parameters when
expiring articles?

I guess I should also mention I've had an unpleasant surprise already.
By default nnmail-expiry-wait was set to 7 (before I set it to 'never)
and Gnus expired a lot of messages in "^nnml:reports.*" groups which
were not yet 30 days old.  That clearly was wrong.  Thankfully, those
messages were not that important, but it scares me Gnus could do that
to my more important mail.  I need to get that part straight.

TIA,

        - Peter

--
Peter Solodov                    | Concordia University
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~peter | Montreal, QC, Canada

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-04 15:16 UTC | newest]