* Secondary-select-method-specific gnus-message-archive-group
@ 2016-10-14  7:42 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-10-14  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I have tried to set up different values for

  gnus-message-archive-group

for different secondary select methods like this:

     (nnimap "gmx"
             (nnimap-stream tls)
             (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
             (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
     (nnimap "gmail"
             (nnimap-stream ssl)
             (nnimap-server-port 993)
             (remove-prefix nnimap)
             (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
             (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))

I do get different values for gnus-message-archive-group (I actually have a
few more select methods), but I don't always get the one I am expecting.

Can anyone tell me how the values are triggered?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Secondary-select-method-specific gnus-message-archive-group
@ 2016-10-14 19:30 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-10-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> I have tried to set up different values for
>
>   gnus-message-archive-group
>
> for different secondary select methods like this:
>
>      (nnimap "gmx"
>              (nnimap-stream tls)
>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
>      (nnimap "gmail"
>              (nnimap-stream ssl)
>              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>              (remove-prefix nnimap)
>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
>
> I do get different values for gnus-message-archive-group (I actually have a
> few more select methods), but I don't always get the one I am expecting.
>
> Can anyone tell me how the values are triggered?

I am not sure, whether message archive groups do have anything to do with select methods.  Select methods are about receiving mail, while archive group is chosen when you start to compose a message.

I’m using the following piece of config to place a letter in a current group (in particular that means to the same group where the message I’m replying is stored) or in ‘INBOX’ by default:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+" group) group)
         (t "nnimap+g:INBOX"))))

(By the way, why don’t you do the same?  What is the point to separate sent letters from received ones?)

Anyway, what you probably want to do may look like that, I guess:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmx:" group) "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
         ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmail:" group) "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
         (t "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail"))))

* Re: Secondary-select-method-specific gnus-message-archive-group
@ 2024-01-13 13:23   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2024-01-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:

>> I have tried to set up different values for
>>
>>   gnus-message-archive-group
>>
>> for different secondary select methods like this:
>>
>>      (nnimap "gmx"
>>              (nnimap-stream tls)
>>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
>>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
>>      (nnimap "gmail"
>>              (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>              (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>              (remove-prefix nnimap)
>>              (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
>>              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com"))
>>
>> I do get different values for gnus-message-archive-group (I actually have a
>> few more select methods), but I don't always get the one I am expecting.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how the values are triggered?
>
> I am not sure, whether message archive groups do have anything to do
> with select methods.  Select methods are about receiving mail, while
> archive group is chosen when you start to compose a message.
>
> I’m using the following piece of config to place a letter in a current
> group (in particular that means to the same group where the message
> I’m replying is stored) or in ‘INBOX’ by default:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>       '((cond
>          ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+" group) group)
>          (t "nnimap+g:INBOX"))))
>

> (By the way, why don’t you do the same?  What is the point to separate
> sent letters from received ones?)
>
> Anyway, what you probably want to do may look like that, I guess:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>       '((cond
>          ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmx:" group) "nnimap+gmx:Gesendet")
>          ((string-prefix-p "nnimap+gmail:" group) "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
>          (t "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail"))))

This worked for me for the last 7 years, so rather belated thanks for
that.

However, after updating to Emacs 29.1, I started getting an error
message about 'group' being undefined.

I solved the problem by not trying to set 'gnus-message-archive-group'
at all and instead now set "Gcc" via 'gnus-alias', which I was already
using:

    (setq gnus-alias-identity-alist
	  '(("gmail"
	     ""
	     "\"Loris Bennett\" <loris.bennett@gmail.com>"
	     "Berlin"
	     (("Reply-To" . "loris.bennett@gmail.com")
	      ("Gcc" . "nnimap+gmail:Sent Mail")
	      ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" . "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587"))
	     ""
	     lb/gmail-sig)
             ))

I am not sure whether it is related to the Emacs update, but I also
found that I could no longer send email from one account via the SMTP
server of another account.  Therefore I added the
"X-Message-SMTP-Method" to the list of extra headers, which solved the
issue.

Maybe someone else might find the above useful.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under contruction.