* how does gnus delete attachments IMAP
@ 2017-09-20  6:38 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2017-09-20  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have this email that has four large files attached to it. Using Gnus,
I deleted all of them - showing me this:

[4. Deleted attachment (466580 bytes) --- text/plain]...

[5. Deleted attachment (11297946 bytes) --- text/plain]...

[6. Deleted attachment (9428994 bytes) --- text/plain]...

[7. Deleted attachment (443779 bytes) --- text/plain]...

Oddly enough, on the IMAP server, the files are still there, in the
email message. When I look at the specific message, I see, for
example, this:

--=-=-=

,----
| The following attachment has been deleted:
|
| Type:           application/pdf
| Filename:       00 - Foom bla-bla.pdf
| Size (encoded): 466580 bytes
`----

--=-=-=

But it has not actually been deleted.

What did I miss?

* Re: how does gnus delete attachments IMAP
@ 2017-09-27 20:19 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2017-09-27 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> I have this email that has four large files attached to it. Using Gnus,
> I deleted all of them - showing me this:
>
> [4. Deleted attachment (466580 bytes) --- text/plain]...
>
> [5. Deleted attachment (11297946 bytes) --- text/plain]...
>
> [6. Deleted attachment (9428994 bytes) --- text/plain]...
>
> [7. Deleted attachment (443779 bytes) --- text/plain]...
>
> Oddly enough, on the IMAP server, the files are still there, in the
> email message. When I look at the specific message, I see, for
> example, this:
>
> --=-=-=
>
> ,----
> | The following attachment has been deleted:
> |
> | Type:           application/pdf
> | Filename:       00 - Foom bla-bla.pdf
> | Size (encoded): 466580 bytes
> `----
>
> --=-=-=
>

> But it has not actually been deleted.
>
> What did I miss?

Just a guess, but I would expect that you would have to resend the
edited message (with the parts deleted) to see the changes on the
server? Or you could try with a local version (say, a draft) and inspect
that the changes happened locally upon saving the modified draft.

HTH!

Maxim

* Re: how does gnus delete attachments IMAP
@ 2017-09-28  1:07 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2017-09-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sep 20, 2017, Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> wrote:

> I have this email that has four large files attached to it. Using Gnus,
> I deleted all of them

[...]

> Oddly enough, on the IMAP server, the files are still there, in the
> email message.

[...]

> What did I miss?

With IMAP, messages cannot be edited.  To work around this, Gnus will
typically create a new message without the attachments.  How Gnus treats
the original seems inconsistent to me.  Sometimes it is deleted, but
sometimes it sticks around, in which case I mark it as expirable, so it
will get deleted later.

Dan