* Re: gnus hangs when refreshing Gmail
       [not found] <mailman.533.1451019612.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-02-07  4:26 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-07  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mann; +Cc: info-gnus-english

David Mann <manndmd@gmail.com> writes:

> I find that when pressing 'g' in the Group buffer, gnus will hang in the
> midst of fetching from imap.gmail.com, usually fetching about 90K of
> data and then freezing.  I can press C-g and then press 'g' again and it
> is able to complete fetching the mail.  After a while (5 mins or
> so?) the same phenomenon occurs.

This sounds like there's something between you and Gmail that's dropping
the connection without notifying the client, so the network connection
dies, or something...  Is that possible?

* Re: gnus hangs when refreshing Gmail
@ 2016-02-07 19:19   ` David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2016-02-07 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> David Mann <manndmd@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I find that when pressing 'g' in the Group buffer, gnus will hang in the
>> midst of fetching from imap.gmail.com, usually fetching about 90K of
>> data and then freezing.  I can press C-g and then press 'g' again and it
>> is able to complete fetching the mail.  After a while (5 mins or
>> so?) the same phenomenon occurs.
>
> This sounds like there's something between you and Gmail that's dropping
> the connection without notifying the client, so the network connection
> dies, or something...  Is that possible?

You are probably right, as my home internet connection is not great.  I
just moved to France for 2 months and will see how it works there.
Thank you for your help.

DEM

* Re: gnus hangs when refreshing Gmail
@ 2016-02-08  3:33     ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2016-02-08  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mann; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, info-gnus-english

As I posted here some time ago, I've also had problems with gmail but using
POP3.  I'm wondering if it has to do with gmail using something like OAuth2
but Gnus using something else for authentication.

Since the OP is using IMAP, it may well not be related, but I wanted to
raise the issue, just in case.

Bill

@ 2016-02-08 20:39       ` Emanuel Evans
From: Emanuel Evans @ 2016-02-08 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

FWIW I also get similar hangs with nnimap from time to time, but I'm
using a local dovecot setup similar to
https://ericabrahamsen.net/tech/2014/oct/gnus-dovecot-lucene.html . So I
guess it isn't Gmail-specific?

* gnus hangs when refreshing Gmail
@ 2015-12-25  4:54 David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2015-12-25  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I find that when pressing 'g' in the Group buffer, gnus will hang in the
midst of fetching from imap.gmail.com, usually fetching about 90K of
data and then freezing.  I can press C-g and then press 'g' again and it
is able to complete fetching the mail.  After a while (5 mins or
so?) the same phenomenon occurs.

Gnus version is 5.13.  Emacs is compiled from master branch, version is
GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.2.0, NS appkit-1404.34
Version 10.11.2 (Build 15C50)) of 2015-12-20.  Relevant part of my
gnus.el is

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "gmail"
	       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	       (nnimap-server-port 993)
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)
	       (nnir-search-engine imap)))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
       '(nnimap "epstudios"
	       (nnimap-address "mail.epstudiossoftware.com")
	       (nnimap-server-port 993)
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)
	       (nnir-search-engine imap)))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

I wasn't successful in googling this issue.  Any ideas as to what is
causing gnus to hang?

Thanks,

David