* Showing a full thread
@ 2023-07-02  4:33 husain
From: husain @ 2023-07-02  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When there is a single unread message, that belongs to a thread, I can
view the parent of the message by the default keybinding "^". However,
it seems that I am not able to view the full thread, including the
sibling messages. I would live to view the full tree of the thread: the
root and all the messages that were span off it.

Gnus has the command "gnus-summary-show-all-threads" and
"gnus-summary-show-thread". These commands do not show the full tree for
me, deceivingly. Gnus also has the variable "gnus-show-threads" which is
"t" in my case. I am still not able to see the full tree. I am able to
see the full tree once I mark the unread message as read, quit, and then
visit the group, where I can see all the messages.

Any idea if there is a function that show the complete thread?

To reproduce my situation, visit any newsgroup/email that has
threads. Pick a message which is part of a thread. The message has to
have a sibling. Mark it as unread via
"gnus-summary-put-mark-as-unread". Quit. Visit the group again and you
will b confronted with only that message.

--
Husain

* Re: Showing a full thread
@ 2023-07-02  9:39 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2023-07-02  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

husain@alshehhi.io writes:

> I would live to view the full tree of the thread: the root and all
> the messages that were span off it.

Have you tried A T?

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-refer-thread RET ]
| gnus-summary-refer-thread is an interactive native-compiled Lisp
| function in ‘gnus-sum.el’.
|
| (gnus-summary-refer-thread &optional LIMIT)
|
| Inferred type: (function (&optional t) t)
|
| Fetch all articles in the current thread.
| A non-numeric prefix arg will search the entire server; without a
| prefix arg only the current group is searched.  If the variable
| ‘gnus-refer-thread-use-search’ is t the prefix arg has the
| reverse meaning.  If searching is not enabled for the current
| group, fetch LIMIT (the numerical prefix) old headers.  If LIMIT
| is non-numeric or nil fetch the number specified by the
| ‘gnus-refer-thread-limit’ variable.

`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'll dye without my hair!"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Showing a full thread
@ 2023-07-02 20:28 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2023-07-02 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

husain@alshehhi.io writes:

[A T]

> Thank you very much for saving me again. This is exactly what I
> needed.

Happy to help! Sometimes finding the right function is the hardest part.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Few things are less comforting than a tiger who's         Adam Sjøgren
  up too late."                                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Showing a full thread
@ 2023-07-02 19:08 husain
From: husain @ 2023-07-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)