* gnus and smtp autohentication
@ 2003-10-28  7:01 Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2003-10-28  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

i use yahoo pop mail and yahoo's SMTP server requires authentication
i am using the code below to send mail but when i try to send mail
emacs freezes and i can not send mail. how do you send mail trough a
SMTP server that requires authentication...

  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.mail.yahoo.com")
  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
        '(("smtp.mail.yahoo.com" 25 "username" "password")))

why this does not work?

* Re: gnus and smtp autohentication
@ 2003-12-21 12:45 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found]   ` <yoijvfoaj6bq.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

nurullah_akkaya@yahoo.com (Nurullah Akkaya) writes:

> i use yahoo pop mail and yahoo's SMTP server requires authentication
> i am using the code below to send mail but when i try to send mail
> emacs freezes and i can not send mail.

Can you wake up Emacs with the C-g key?  (Maybe hit it twice.)

If that works, then please do C-u 1 M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET and
repeat the problem.  When Emacs appears to have hung, hit C-g.  Study
the resulting backtrace.  Hit c.  Wait a while (20 seconds, say).  Hit
C-g again.  Study the resulting backtrace.  Hit c, wait, C-g, study,
and so on for maybe 5 or 10 times.

Now you should have seen a pattern to what is happening: you should be
able to tell whether Emacs is stuck in the same function all the time,
or whether it is making slow progress, or whether it is in an infinite
loop.

Report your findings.

Another useful thing to do is to (setq smtpmail-debug-info t) and
repeat the problem.  When Emacs appears hung, wake it up with C-g.
Now you should have a buffer called *trace of smtp session...* or
something similar.  Post the contents of that buffer (after censoring
the passwords, if any).

Kai

@ 2004-01-02 17:56     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>
>> If that works, then please do C-u 1 M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET and
>                                                            ^
> I think Kai meant to say toggle-debug-on-quit, here.

Indeed.  Thanks!

Kai