From: Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Configuration example for mbsync + dovecot + Gnus
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 11:56:30 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon 25-Jan-2021 at 19:30:23 +01, Eric Abrahamsen
<eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon 25-Jan-2021 at 17:31:14 +01, Eric Abrahamsen
>> <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

>>> I'm still using this setup! You didn't say what was going wrong, but
>>> here's a sample config block for one of my IMAP accounts:
>>
>> Thanks for your answer!

[...]

Hi,

Thanks to Eric Abrahamsen and Jeffrey DeLeo for their help. I finally
managed configuring dovecot + mbsync + gnus to my liking.

Actually, the original post from Eric just needed a couple of tweaks to
work. As pointed out before, in the mbsync config, I had to change this

,----
| UseIMAPS no
| UseTLSV1 no
`----

to this

,----
| SSLType IMAPS
| SSLVersions TLSv1.2
`----

and also add the port

,----
| Port 993
`----

For the local dovecot, I had to add this

,----
| AuthMechs LOGIN
`----

Since my email provider uses Microsoft Exchange (or Outlook or Office365
or whatever they call it these days), I had to add a couple of options
to go around bugs in their server. These are documented in [1] and [2].

FWIW, my final mbsync config looks like this:

#+begin_src conf :tangle  mbsync/.mbsyncrc :mkdirp yes
IMAPAccount garjola
Host imap.domain.net
Port 993
User login@domain.net
PassCmd "emacsclient -e \"(my/lookup-password :host
\\\"imap.domain.net\\\" :user \\\"login@domain.net\\\")\" | cut -d '\"'
-f2"
SSLType IMAPS
SSLVersions TLSv1.2
CertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
PipelineDepth 1
Timeout 120

IMAPStore garjola-remote
Account garjola

IMAPAccount garjola-dovecot
Host localhost
User login@domain.net
Pass passwurd  # local password I don't care much about
SSLType None
AuthMechs LOGIN

IMAPStore garjola-local
Account garjola-dovecot

Channel garjola
Master :garjola-remote:
Slave :garjola-local:
Patterns *
Create Both
Expunge Both
Remove Both
#+end_src

The configuration of dovecot (dovecot.conf and passwd) don't need any
change. And nor does the .gnus part.

To look up the imap password, I use this (stolen from [3]):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my/lookup-password (&rest keys)
  "Lookup a password using auth-source"
  (let ((result (apply #'auth-source-search keys)))
    (if result
        (funcall (plist-get (car result) :secret))
      nil)))
#+end_src

Cheers,

Garjola