* Re: How to reply on posts on gmane?
       [not found] <mailman.12295.1211912505.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-05-27 18:29 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-05-27 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:26:16 +0200, Seweryn wrote:

> It seems that people using mailinglists reply to senders and reply cc
> to lists.

In my experience that can be very different from mailinglist to
mailinglist.

I've been yelled at for not Cc'ing the author (and only answering on the
list) as well as for Cc'ing the author ("I read the list!")

  Best regards,

--
 "Gravity is arbitrary!"                                      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to reply on posts on gmane?
@ 2008-05-28  7:47   ` Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-05-28  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

 Adam> In my experience that can be very different from mailinglist to
 Adam> mailinglist.
I am second to that.

 Adam> I've been yelled at for not Cc'ing the author (and only answering
 Adam> on the list) as well as for Cc'ing the author ("I read the
 Adam> list!")
Yes. However, for a long time now I only use `F' since to my experience
about 8 out of 10 people really do read the lists and do not want to get
CCed. For the other 2 or so, it is as it is ...

* Re: How to reply on posts on gmane?
@ 2008-05-27 20:11 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, May 27 2008, Seweryn Kokot wrote:

> I'm subscribed to many mailing lists by gmane. So far I have been
> replying to posts with 'F' (follow-up), but on some group someone
> asked me to reply to him directly and send cc to mailing list. I've
> done S W or S V and my message didn't show up on that mailing list.

When I do `S W' on your article, I get:

| To: Seweryn Kokot <s.kokot@po.opole.pl>
| Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org

I.e. on sending this message, Gnus will send two mails.  One to the
author (you) and one to the list info-gnus-english.

If you follow up via news (`F') to a Gmane group,
"gmane.emacs.gnus.user" is translated to "info-gnus-english@gnu.org"
on Gmane.org and the mail is sent from there.

So in principle, sending directly by mail should be less error-prone.
But the mail sent from Gmane probably uses a different Envelope From
than your direct mail.  Subscriber-only (or moderated) mailing lists
may decide based on the envelope From.  But I'm not sure.  Maybe
someone on gmane.dicuss (or the FAQ) knows more about it.

> It seems that people using mailinglists reply to senders and reply
> cc to lists.

Parse error.

> Could someone explain to me what to type to send my reply to newsgroup
> with gmane and cc to sender? Or is there a better way?

`F' plus `C-c C-t'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* How to reply on posts on gmane?
@ 2008-05-27 18:26 Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2008-05-27 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm subscribed to many mailing lists by gmane. So far I have been replying to
posts with 'F' (follow-up), but on some group someone asked me to reply to
him directly and send cc to mailing list. I've done S W or S V and my
message didn't show up on that mailing list. It seems that people using
mailinglists reply to senders and reply cc to lists.

Could someone explain to me what to type to send my reply to newsgroup
with gmane and cc to sender? Or is there a better way?

Thanks,
--
Seweryn Kokot