* nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10  9:02 Dick Hoogendijk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-10  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I use nnimap in Gnus and I like it very much. Doing a "G c" yesterday
I was overwhelmed by all the options I saw. Never seen something quite
like that. Today I noticed however that E-mail I sent from within gnus
is not saved somewhere. In other mua's I can say where to save
outgoing email. I'm sure that is possible in Gnus too, but *how*
So, I'm looking for a global setting where to keep a copy of my
outgoing e-mails (Gnus/nnimap). I appreciate any help on this.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 02/07 ++

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 10:42 ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-06-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The basic idea is to add a "Gcc" field when sending your email.
In practise, you can customize gnus-posting-styles to automatically add
the Gcc field for you.

@ 2007-06-10 11:27 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-10 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:02:10 +0200, Dick wrote:

> So, I'm looking for a global setting where to keep a copy of my
> outgoing e-mails (Gnus/nnimap). I appreciate any help on this.

You may want to peruse the section called "Archived Messages" in the
info-manual included with your Gnus.

You can find it in HTML-form here, as well:
 <http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_138.html#SEC138>

It is also mentioned in the Gnus FAQ:
 <http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-chunks/FAQ.html#id2531993>

I hope this helps.

  Best regards,

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 11:38   ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-10 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> The basic idea is to add a "Gcc" field when sending your email. In
> practise, you can customize gnus-posting-styles to automatically add
> the Gcc field for you.

The latter is worth investigating. I don't want to add a Bcc:
everytime I write E-mail (I write a lot).

I take it's possible to have a setting on a per server base?
Or even more global?

If set I can filter Bcc: msgs to myself out with a sieve script.

I assume your 'Gcc:' == 'Bcc:' ?

--

@ 2007-06-10 11:40   ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-10 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> "Archived Messages"
>  <http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_138.html#SEC138>
>  <http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-chunks/FAQ.html#id2531993>

Thank you for this pointers.
This will answer my question, I'm sure.

--

@ 2007-06-10 11:54   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-06-10 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> The basic idea is to add a "Gcc" field when sending your email.
> In practise, you can customize gnus-posting-styles to automatically add
> the Gcc field for you.
>
> Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:
>
>> I use nnimap in Gnus and I like it very much. Doing a "G c" yesterday
>> I was overwhelmed by all the options I saw. Never seen something quite
>> like that. Today I noticed however that E-mail I sent from within gnus
>> is not saved somewhere. In other mua's I can say where to save
>> outgoing email. I'm sure that is possible in Gnus too, but *how*
>> So, I'm looking for a global setting where to keep a copy of my
>> outgoing e-mails (Gnus/nnimap). I appreciate any help on this.
>>
>> --
>> Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
>> ++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 02/07 ++

I simply have

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "misc-news"
          (concat "mail." (format-time-string
                           "%Y-%m" (current-time))))))

in my .gnus.el

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 16:50     ` Andrew Aylett
From: Andrew Aylett @ 2007-06-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

This afternoon, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The basic idea is to add a "Gcc" field when sending your email. In
>> practise, you can customize gnus-posting-styles to automatically add
>> the Gcc field for you.
>
> The latter is worth investigating. I don't want to add a Bcc:
> everytime I write E-mail (I write a lot).
>
> I take it's possible to have a setting on a per server base?
> Or even more global?
>
> If set I can filter Bcc: msgs to myself out with a sieve script.
>
> I assume your 'Gcc:' == 'Bcc:' ?

No, really 'Gcc:'.  It puts a copy of your message straight into a
group.  For example, this message has 'Gcc: nnimap+localhost:Sent' in
the headers.  I can't remember how I got it set up; probably through
customize (as it's not explicitly in my .gnus).

OK,
--
Andrew Aylett                   andrew@aylett.co.uk | www.aylett.co.uk

1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight...
  -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 17:01       ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-06-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andrew Aylett <usenet@aylett.co.uk> writes:

> This afternoon, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The basic idea is to add a "Gcc" field when sending your email. In
>>> practise, you can customize gnus-posting-styles to automatically add
>>> the Gcc field for you.
>>
>> The latter is worth investigating. I don't want to add a Bcc:
>> everytime I write E-mail (I write a lot).
>>
>> I take it's possible to have a setting on a per server base?
>> Or even more global?
>>
>> If set I can filter Bcc: msgs to myself out with a sieve script.
>>
>> I assume your 'Gcc:' == 'Bcc:' ?
>
> No, really 'Gcc:'.  It puts a copy of your message straight into a
> group.  For example, this message has 'Gcc: nnimap+localhost:Sent' in
> the headers.  I can't remember how I got it set up; probably through
> customize (as it's not explicitly in my .gnus).
>
> OK,

Customizations are in your .gnus.el unless you have specifically altered
that.

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 17:43         ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-10 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Andrew Aylett <usenet@aylett.co.uk> writes:
(snip)
>> No, really 'Gcc:'.  It puts a copy of your message straight into a
>> group.  For example, this message has 'Gcc: nnimap+localhost:Sent' in
>> the headers.  I can't remember how I got it set up; probably through
>> customize (as it's not explicitly in my .gnus).
(snip)
> Customizations are in your .gnus.el unless you have specifically altered
> that.

FWIW,

$ grep outgoing .gnus.el
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.outgoing")

WFM. HTH.

-- Mark

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-10 20:20           ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-10 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

mark@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Andrew Aylett <usenet@aylett.co.uk> writes:
> (snip)
>>> No, really 'Gcc:'.  It puts a copy of your message straight into a
>>> group.  For example, this message has 'Gcc: nnimap+localhost:Sent'
>>> in the headers.  I can't remember how I got it set up; probably
>>> through customize (as it's not explicitly in my .gnus).
> (snip)
>> Customizations are in your .gnus.el unless you have specifically
>> altered that.
>
> $ grep outgoing .gnus.el
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.outgoing")

I read a lot about a file called .gnus.el but I do not have it. Just a
plain .gnus file. Alterations are kept in .newsrc.elm I think. Don't
know, I'm a newbie. But no .gnus.el file, that's for sure.

I now have:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              "misc-news"
            "misc-mail")))

in my .gnus file. The manual talks about this to be the favo way. So I
did. No idea why (if so..) 'nnml' would be less good. I could easely
change the "misc-news" into "nnmh:misc-news" but decided to follow the
advice from the gnus manual (or was ti the FAQ? Not sure about this.

Anyway, copies are kept. At this moment as nnfolder ones. But I have
learned how to change that in nnmh or even nnimap ones. I decided to
let gnus do the work and not give it back to my cyrus imap server.

Not quite sure however what exactly is the best way in the long run.

--

@ 2007-06-11 18:25 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-06-11 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:

> I use nnimap in Gnus and I like it very much. Doing a "G c" yesterday
> I was overwhelmed by all the options I saw. Never seen something quite
> like that. Today I noticed however that E-mail I sent from within gnus
> is not saved somewhere. In other mua's I can say where to save
> outgoing email. I'm sure that is possible in Gnus too, but *how*
> So, I'm looking for a global setting where to keep a copy of my
> outgoing e-mails (Gnus/nnimap). I appreciate any help on this.

Not the popular answer, I know, but I have Gnus Bcc: outgoing mail to
myself.

(setq message-required-mail-headers
      (nconc message-required-mail-headers
	     (list '(Bcc . "dmaze@mit.edu"))))

Then my sorting rules pick out mail either to or from an individual, so
all of my correspondence with people that have their own mail groups can
show up as a threaded conversation in the respective group.  Duplicate
suppression deals with things like mailing lists where I'm going to get
a copy of my own mail sent back at me.  This works better for me than
having to trace a thread between two different groups depending on
whether I sent the message or not.

  --dzm

* Re: nnimap sent mail
@ 2007-06-11 18:44   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:25:17 -0400, David wrote:

> Not the popular answer, I know, but I have Gnus Bcc: outgoing mail to
> myself.

> (setq message-required-mail-headers
>       (nconc message-required-mail-headers
> 	     (list '(Bcc . "dmaze@mit.edu"))))

> Then my sorting rules pick out mail either to or from an individual, so
> all of my correspondence with people that have their own mail groups can
> show up as a threaded conversation in the respective group.

Another way to get the same effect is to set the group parameter
gcc-self for your mailgroups:

 `gcc-self'
      If `(gcc-self . t)' is present in the group parameter list, newly
      composed messages will be `Gcc''d to the current group.  If
      `(gcc-self . none)' is present, no `Gcc:' header will be
      generated, if `(gcc-self . "string")' is present, this string will
      be inserted literally as a `gcc' header.  This parameter takes
      precedence over any default `Gcc' rules as described later (*note
      Archived Messages::).

(Not that I suggest you change your setup, of course).

  Best regards,

     Adam