* nnvirtual: killing or unsubscribing ?
@ 2008-08-16 21:13 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-08-16 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Long time no post... I am getting back to Gnus (along side with
trn) for my daily usenet readings.

I am now trying to have as little newsgroups as possible which I
am subscribed. The goal is not not read newsgroups but diminish
the "jup and go" through many newsgroups. So I am trying to learn
how nnvirtual is working.

I have created an empty nnvirual group (G V) and I have
subscribed to several emacs related newsgroups. Now, it seems I
can unsubscribe (or even kill) all my emacs related groups and
stick with my nnvirtual:emacs group. Is it ok to go that way ? I
mean, can I safely C-k n each newsgroup entry from the group
buffer ?

I hope my question is not a FAQ.

Regards

* Re: nnvirtual: killing or unsubscribing ?
@ 2008-08-16 22:31 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-08-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

xma@localhost.UUCP (Xavier Maillard) writes:

> I have created an empty nnvirual group (G V) and I have subscribed to
> several emacs related newsgroups. Now, it seems I can unsubscribe (or
> even kill) all my emacs related groups and stick with my
> nnvirtual:emacs group. Is it ok to go that way ? I mean, can I safely
> C-k n each newsgroup entry from the group buffer ?

      all groups included in a virtual group have to be alive (i.e.,
      subscribed or unsubscribed). Killed or zombie groups can't be
      component groups for `nnvirtual' groups.

(info "(gnus) Virtual Groups")

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2008-08-16 22:57   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-08-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> xma@localhost.UUCP (Xavier Maillard) writes:
>
>> I have created an empty nnvirual group (G V) and I have subscribed to
>> several emacs related newsgroups. Now, it seems I can unsubscribe (or
>> even kill) all my emacs related groups and stick with my
>> nnvirtual:emacs group. Is it ok to go that way ? I mean, can I safely
>> C-k n each newsgroup entry from the group buffer ?
>
>       all groups included in a virtual group have to be alive (i.e.,
>       subscribed or unsubscribed). Killed or zombie groups can't be
>       component groups for `nnvirtual' groups.
>
> (info "(gnus) Virtual Groups")
Sorry, I must have missed this entry...

Xavier