* imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-02  2:11 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-02  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Has anyone here successfully configured courier-imap with exim4 to sit
on top of an existing maildir directory in order to employ the nnimap
backend in gnus rather than the maildir one? I read that it should speed
up gnus startup.

I have a ~/Mail directory which then contains about 15 sub Maildirs
which are fed from fetchmail and procmail from various mailing lists and
personal email subscriptions.

Thoughts?

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-04 10:30 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2007-02-04 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone here successfully configured courier-imap with exim4 to sit
> on top of an existing maildir directory in order to employ the nnimap
> backend in gnus rather than the maildir one? I read that it should speed
> up gnus startup.
>
> I have a ~/Mail directory which then contains about 15 sub Maildirs
> which are fed from fetchmail and procmail from various mailing lists and
> personal email subscriptions.

Yes, if I understand you right, that's my mail setup. Except that I don't use
fetchmail to get the mail -- I use offlineimap to sync the "real" imap server
to the maildirs on my laptop. courier is running locally on the laptop, and I
point nnimap at it.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-05  8:02   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-05  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Has anyone here successfully configured courier-imap with exim4 to sit
>> on top of an existing maildir directory in order to employ the nnimap
>> backend in gnus rather than the maildir one? I read that it should speed
>> up gnus startup.
>>
>> I have a ~/Mail directory which then contains about 15 sub Maildirs
>> which are fed from fetchmail and procmail from various mailing lists and
>> personal email subscriptions.
>
> Yes, if I understand you right, that's my mail setup. Except that I don't use
> fetchmail to get the mail -- I use offlineimap to sync the "real" imap server
> to the maildirs on my laptop. courier is running locally on the laptop, and I
> point nnimap at it.

Could you post your elisp for me please? Do you need to register each
sub dir or do you only point courier to the top level dir and then emacs
to localhost imap? I see "INBOX", but not my individual maildirs.

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-10  6:22     ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2007-02-10  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Has anyone here successfully configured courier-imap with exim4 to sit
>>> on top of an existing maildir directory in order to employ the nnimap
>>> backend in gnus rather than the maildir one? I read that it should speed
>>> up gnus startup.
>>>
>>> I have a ~/Mail directory which then contains about 15 sub Maildirs
>>> which are fed from fetchmail and procmail from various mailing lists and
>>> personal email subscriptions.
>>
>> Yes, if I understand you right, that's my mail setup. Except that I don't use
>> fetchmail to get the mail -- I use offlineimap to sync the "real" imap server
>> to the maildirs on my laptop. courier is running locally on the laptop, and I
>> point nnimap at it.
>
> Could you post your elisp for me please? Do you need to register each
> sub dir or do you only point courier to the top level dir and then emacs
> to localhost imap? I see "INBOX", but not my individual maildirs.

It doesn't take much elisp. I just added this entry to my
gnus-secondary-select-methods:

(nnimap "local"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))

If you're not seeing your maildirs in gnus, maybe it's because you're not
subscribed to them? You can list unsubscribed groups with "A A" in the Group
buffer, or enter the server buffer with ^ and hit RET on your local IMAP server
to see the groups list there. Subscribe to them with u.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-10 12:47       ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:

>>> Yes, if I understand you right, that's my mail setup. Except that I don't use
>>> fetchmail to get the mail -- I use offlineimap to sync the "real" imap server
>>> to the maildirs on my laptop. courier is running locally on the laptop, and I
>>> point nnimap at it.
>>
>> Could you post your elisp for me please? Do you need to register each
>> sub dir or do you only point courier to the top level dir and then emacs
>> to localhost imap? I see "INBOX", but not my individual maildirs.
>
> It doesn't take much elisp. I just added this entry to my
> gnus-secondary-select-methods:
>
> (nnimap "local"
>                 (nnimap-address "localhost")
>                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
>
> If you're not seeing your maildirs in gnus, maybe it's because you're not
> subscribed to them? You can list unsubscribed groups with "A A" in the Group
> buffer, or enter the server buffer with ^ and hit RET on your local IMAP server
> to see the groups list there. Subscribe to them with u.

Hi John,

I'm still only seeing

       *: nnimap+local:INBOX

which leads me to believe I might not have configured imap properly. Is
there a way to query the IMAP base maildir directory from emacs or
command line (linux ubuntu). I know imap ok is running because I see the
above I assume?

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-12 20:54         ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2007-02-12 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Could you post your elisp for me please? Do you need to register each
>>> sub dir or do you only point courier to the top level dir and then emacs
>>> to localhost imap? I see "INBOX", but not my individual maildirs.
>>
>> It doesn't take much elisp. I just added this entry to my
>> gnus-secondary-select-methods:
>>
>> (nnimap "local"
>>                 (nnimap-address "localhost")
>>                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
>>                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
>>
>> If you're not seeing your maildirs in gnus, maybe it's because you're not
>> subscribed to them? You can list unsubscribed groups with "A A" in the Group
>> buffer, or enter the server buffer with ^ and hit RET on your local IMAP server
>> to see the groups list there. Subscribe to them with u.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I'm still only seeing
>
>        *: nnimap+local:INBOX
>
> which leads me to believe I might not have configured imap properly. Is
> there a way to query the IMAP base maildir directory from emacs or
> command line (linux ubuntu). I know imap ok is running because I see the
> above I assume?

What do you see when you enter the server via the server buffer? Hit ^, then
hit RET on the name of your imap server. Does it list any groups then?

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-12 22:02           ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> What do you see when you enter the server via the server buffer? Hit ^, then
> hit RET on the name of your imap server. Does it list any groups then?

All I see is as above : INBOX

Any ideas?

* Re: imap on maildir
@ 2007-02-13  1:01             ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2007-02-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> John Sullivan <usenet@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>

>> What do you see when you enter the server via the server buffer? Hit ^, then
>> hit RET on the name of your imap server. Does it list any groups then?
>
> All I see is as above : INBOX
>
> Any ideas?
> --

Hm. Maybe try C-u C-u M-x gnus-find-new-newsgroups and see if they show up
after that?

Have you tried using another mail client to connect to the same mail server to
make sure that it is working?

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net