* Re: How to save, retrieve articles
       [not found] ` <84el3e7ru9.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-05-04 17:56   ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-05-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
>> I want to do these things.
>>
>> --save articles   (can do this now)
>> --read them again ( can do this now)
>> --delete saved articles no longer needed ????
>
> You can say M-x delete-file RET...

But with 'gnus-default-article-saver' set to
'gnus-summary-save-in-file', the articles are appended to a news
file. M-x delete-file wants to delete the whole file, right?

What I want to do is to save articles, and selectively delete
individual articles when they are no longer desired.

The reason for saving some articles is that they give me solutions to
problems, or sometimes just interesting problems that I want to
investigate further.  Being able to save, read, and delete articles as
if the saved-article directory were a newsgroup seems like a powerful
way to do this, but I can't figure out how.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

* Re: How to save, retrieve articles
@ 2003-05-04 19:04     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-05-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> What I want to do is to save articles, and selectively delete
> individual articles when they are no longer desired.
>
> The reason for saving some articles is that they give me solutions to
> problems, or sometimes just interesting problems that I want to
> investigate further.  Being able to save, read, and delete articles as
> if the saved-article directory were a newsgroup seems like a powerful
> way to do this, but I can't figure out how.

Then do make a (mail) group (G m in group buffer). You can save
articles to a group using B c (gnus-summary-copy-article).

       B c
       Copy this article to: nnfolder:foo
       [ No such group: nnfolder:foo. Create it? (y or n) ]

(Or consider using the cache.)

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

* Re: How to save, retrieve articles
@ 2003-05-04 19:24       ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-05-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
>> What I want to do is to save articles, and selectively delete
>> individual articles when they are no longer desired.
>>
>> The reason for saving some articles is that they give me solutions to
>> problems, or sometimes just interesting problems that I want to
>> investigate further.  Being able to save, read, and delete articles as
>> if the saved-article directory were a newsgroup seems like a powerful
>> way to do this, but I can't figure out how.
>
> Then do make a (mail) group (G m in group buffer). You can save
> articles to a group using B c (gnus-summary-copy-article).
>
>        B c
>        Copy this article to: nnfolder:foo
>        [ No such group: nnfolder:foo. Create it? (y or n) ]

Thanks, this is looking good.  About what I want.  Right now, it's
copying articles to ~/mbox, which puts them in the same file as the
one used by pine.

Can I set a variable to make the saved articles go to a different mbox
file?

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

@ 2003-05-04 21:35   ` Paul Repacholi
       [not found]     ` <84n0i2lydq.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Paul Repacholi @ 2003-05-04 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
>> I want to do these things.
>>
>> --save articles   (can do this now)
>> --read them again ( can do this now)
>> --delete saved articles no longer needed ????
>
> You can say M-x delete-file RET...
>
> But I suggest to use the cache for this.  (setq gnus-use-cache t),
> and then just tick the articles you want to keep.  (With u or «!»).
> When you don't want an article anymore, mark it as read with d.

I've been doing this, but at odd random seeming times there is huge
lossage of saved stuff :( gnus-use-cache is t, and I use ! as the
mark.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

@ 2003-05-06 17:10       ` Paul Repacholi
From: Paul Repacholi @ 2003-05-06 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Paul Repacholi <prep@prep.synonet.com> writes:

>> I've been doing this, but at odd random seeming times there is huge
>> lossage of saved stuff :( gnus-use-cache is t, and I use ! as the
>> mark.

> You lose saved articles?  That's bad!  Hm.  Maybe it's a bug in
> Gnus?  Can you provide more detail on when does it happen, and so
> forth?

It only happens once in a blue moon. The last one vanished totally
except for an orphan line in the active file in the ~/New/cache
dir. If I lose my comp.os.vms collection I will be very unhappy!