* Re: is there a default setting for viewing all, reda and unread messages?
       [not found] <m265fr7vo6.fsf@bella.local>
@ 2004-01-04 13:58 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

leo <leo@bella.local> writes:

> now i know that in gnus i can get a newgroup summary buffer with read
> and unread messages via C-u [Ret].
>
> but can i somehow make this behaviour default? (so that just [Ret] or
> in the summary M-g does the job.)

Excuse me if I say so, but maybe it is easier to adjust your working
habits to Gnus.  (Gnus is not for everyone; it treats mail like news
and that is both a strength and a weakness.)  Please don't be
offended; just try it for a while and see if I'm right.

For example, setting gnus-fetch-old-headers to t means that Gnus will
show you old articles from the threads that have new articles.  I use
this.  This way, I get the important old messages, but not the ones
I'm not interested in.

If there is a message that I consider important, I hit the `u' key (or
`!' which does the same thing).

If, after trying this, you still think that this behavior is not good,
then you can tell Gnus to hit `u' for you on messages that you read.
How does that sound?

You can also frob a group parameter `display' and set it to `all', I
think.  That will do what you think it does.

Kai

* Re: is there a default setting for viewing all, reda and unread messages?
@ 2004-01-05  5:19   ` leo
From: leo @ 2004-01-05  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kai Grossjohann" <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote in message
> leo <leo@bella.local> writes:
>
> > now i know that in gnus i can get a newgroup summary buffer with read
> > and unread messages via C-u [Ret].
> >
> > but can i somehow make this behaviour default? (so that just [Ret] or
> > in the summary M-g does the job.)
>
> Excuse me if I say so, but maybe it is easier to adjust your working
> habits to Gnus.  (Gnus is not for everyone; it treats mail like news
> and that is both a strength and a weakness.)  Please don't be
> offended; just try it for a while and see if I'm right.

no worries, you're right: it's a very valid argument:

every software introduces its on model of the subject it deals with. and
just beacuse i'm used to the modell "see all news all time (even if they're
not interesting)', that doesn't mean i'ts the only useful approach.

so, i _will_ try it (with gnus-fetch-old-headers set to t).

thanks, leo

* Re: is there a default setting for viewing all, reda and unread messages?
@ 2004-01-05 10:27     ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2004-01-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com>

> so, i _will_ try it (with gnus-fetch-old-headers set to t).

Which, I found, can be very slow, at least on nntp groups unless you run
your own nntp-server (like leafnode).

I find frobbing gnus-build-sparse-threads (like setting it to 'all, for
instance) a bit more usable.
--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl