* nnrss keeping http connections open
@ 2007-03-29  2:09 thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-03-29  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi.  I am wondering if it is normal that nnrss in gnus seems to be
holding http connections open indefinitely.  Only when i finally quit
all the way out of emacs (IIRC) does it tell me there are active
connections still.  I don't yet have the slightest idea how nnrss
really works, but i thought i'd ask here if anyone knows what this is
about, or maybe where i should start looking.  Thanks.

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

* Re: nnrss keeping http connections open
@ 2007-03-29  4:37 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2007-03-29  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thorne writes:

> Hi.  I am wondering if it is normal that nnrss in gnus seems to be
> holding http connections open indefinitely.

This is probably the URL package using the connection keep-alive
feature of HTTP.  So it is normal that connections remain open until
they're closed from the server side.

> Only when i finally quit all the way out of emacs (IIRC) does it
> tell me there are active connections still.

I think it is rather unfortunate that the user is bothered with this
implementation detail when exiting Emacs.  However, this should be
easily fixable by resetting the query-on-exit flag on idle
connections.  I'll rise this on emacs-devel.

regards,
andreas