* Re: Gnus for mail - fetchmail, procmail, splitting
       [not found] <87d6m3eeko.fsf@prism.localnet>
@ 2003-02-08 10:22 ` Mario Domgörgen
       [not found]   ` <87y94r9ez3.fsf@prism.localnet>
From: Mario Domgörgen @ 2003-02-08 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Massimiliano Mirra - bard <bard@prism.localnet> writes:

>     mail source: directory where procmail delivers the mail
>     mail backend: nnfolder

I would really recommend nnml, it is much faster especially for large
groups... i know that, i have also used that some time ago... :)

>     get mail with fetchmail -> split mail with procmail -> mail gets
>     arranged in various mbox files -> split mail again and move it
>     with gnus -> mail gets arranged again in other mailbox files ->
>     read mail with gnus
>
> Can I avoid the second split and tell Gnus to just associate the
> mailgroup ABC with the mailbox file abc, the mailgroup XYZ with the
> mailbox file xyz, etc., without any processing?

That's exactly what i do:

,----[~/.procmailrc

`----[and so on

,----[~/.gnus
| (setq mail-sources
|       '((directory :path "~/Mail/spool" suffix:".spool")))
|
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
| 	     '((nnfolder "")))
`----

That should work!

Mario

--
Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.

* Re: Gnus for mail - fetchmail, procmail, splitting
       [not found]         ` <84r8ag8xat.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-02-10 14:38           ` Massimiliano Mirra - bard
       [not found]             ` <848ywojfex.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Massimiliano Mirra - bard @ 2003-02-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Then a new mail arrives, which procmail wants to write to the same
> file, and then you have the file locking problem.

I see.

> Well, if you don't mind having a few bytes copied around a bit, then
> you'll be fine with Gnus and nnfolder and mbox spool files.  (When
> the message arrives in /var/mail/jrl, it's been copied around several
> times anyway, so why does one more time matter...)

Hm, I guess I am just over concerned with efficiency.  I'll leave that
behind.

(BTW, nice user name.)

> > Anyway thanks for the pointer on Oort Gnus.  Does it contain other
> > things to make life easier with mail, that I should consider switching
> > to it anyway?
> Well, how could I know which features you will like best?  Hm.

Indeed that was not the brightest way one could dress up a question.
Let me reparaphrase it: has it undergone major changes on the mail
side or is it where 5.9.0 is?  It's a `yes or no' question, not a
`read my mind' one; which of course does not mean anyone has to answer
it, it just means nobody is asked to do someone else's homework.

Anyway, thanks for your explanations.

Massimiliano

@ 2003-02-10 22:07               ` Massimiliano Mirra - bard
From: Massimiliano Mirra - bard @ 2003-02-10 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> The speed in using Gnus comes from its powerful features.  They make
> up for the lack of raw speed in simple operations.  I think users

Agreed, it's what made me lean toward Emacs in general.

> > (BTW, nice user name.)
> Got it from the Jargon File, I think.

Yes, I know. :-)

> > side or is it where 5.9.0 is?  It's a `yes or no' question, not a
> Things that I notice from browsing the NEWS file:
[...]
> I'd take that as a yes for the mail feature.  (And also for the news

bard@prism:~$ cvs -d :pserv...

Massimiliano