* ‘/ o’ in inbox summary says ‘No old news’, my ticks gone
@ 2017-10-10 21:17 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

i'm kind-of screwed ATM.  I just started Gnus (M-x gnus), and it fetched
my new mail online (via mail-sources), but then when I opened my inbox
(an nnml folder), my tick marked messages were not listed as such
anymore, and ‘/ o’ says ‘No old news’.  When I look at the mail folder,
the messages are still there, but I can't access them through the
summary buffer anymore.  I made a recursive copy of my mail folder.
What's going on?  Thanks in advance.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC

* Re: ‘/ o’ in inbox summary says ‘No old news’, my ticks gone
@ 2017-10-11  5:56 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-11  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i'm kind-of screwed ATM.  I just started Gnus (M-x gnus), and it fetched
> my new mail online (via mail-sources), but then when I opened my inbox
> (an nnml folder), my tick marked messages were not listed as such
> anymore, and ‘/ o’ says ‘No old news’.  When I look at the mail folder,
> the messages are still there, but I can't access them through the
> summary buffer anymore.  I made a recursive copy of my mail folder.
> What's going on?  Thanks in advance.

If you're still in the running session, you might try a few "undo"s, and
see if that gets you back into a good state.

Otherwise, look at the group parameters for your inbox ("G p"). What
does is say for the "active" entry? That entry is Gnus' idea of how many
messages are in the group -- if it's gotten messed up somehow, it might
believe there are no messages in the group. What does it say?

Eric

* Re: ‘/ o’ in inbox summary says ‘No old news’, my ticks gone
@ 2017-10-11 23:19   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-11 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 2017-10-11 07:56 +02, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm kind-of screwed ATM.  I just started Gnus (M-x gnus), and it fetched
>> my new mail online (via mail-sources), but then when I opened my inbox
>> (an nnml folder), my tick marked messages were not listed as such
>> anymore, and ‘/ o’ says ‘No old news’.  When I look at the mail folder,
>> the messages are still there, but I can't access them through the
>> summary buffer anymore.  I made a recursive copy of my mail folder.
>> What's going on?  Thanks in advance.
>
> If you're still in the running session, you might try a few "undo"s, and
> see if that gets you back into a good state.

Unfortunately no.

> Otherwise, look at the group parameters for your inbox ("G p"). What
> does is say for the "active" entry? That entry is Gnus' idea of how many
> messages are in the group -- if it's gotten messed up somehow, it might
> believe there are no messages in the group. What does it say?

G p buffer shows nil.  I found that the ~/Mail/active file had this
line:

  inbox 1 1 y

and fixed it setting the first ‘1‘ to the number of posts in that group,
then I got my emails back in the summary buffer.  But it keeps
forgetting my ticks when I fetch new mail.  They are absent from the
relevant sexp in the ~/.newsrc.eld file.

--

@ 2017-10-11 23:44     ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-11 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 2017-10-12 02:19 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-11 07:56 +02, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i'm kind-of screwed ATM.  I just started Gnus (M-x gnus), and it fetched
>>> my new mail online (via mail-sources), but then when I opened my inbox
>>> (an nnml folder), my tick marked messages were not listed as such
>>> anymore, and ‘/ o’ says ‘No old news’.  When I look at the mail folder,
>>> the messages are still there, but I can't access them through the
>>> summary buffer anymore.  I made a recursive copy of my mail folder.
>>> What's going on?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> If you're still in the running session, you might try a few "undo"s, and
>> see if that gets you back into a good state.
>
> Unfortunately no.
>
>> Otherwise, look at the group parameters for your inbox ("G p"). What
>> does is say for the "active" entry? That entry is Gnus' idea of how many
>> messages are in the group -- if it's gotten messed up somehow, it might
>> believe there are no messages in the group. What does it say?
>
> G p buffer shows nil.  I found that the ~/Mail/active file had this
> line:
>
>   inbox 1 1 y
>
> and fixed it setting the first ‘1‘ to the number of posts in that group,
> then I got my emails back in the summary buffer.  But it keeps
> forgetting my ticks when I fetch new mail.  They are absent from the
> relevant sexp in the ~/.newsrc.eld file.

Additionally, I see that the ‘.overview’ file for ~/Mail/inbox is
truncated, and only includes entries for the last dozen-or-so messages.
I've tried to regenerate this file with entries for all the messages
without success.  When I do ‘/ o’ now, it shows the items in that file
first, whatever number I enter to the prompt.  The second time I hit ‘/
o’ and enter some number, that many messages are shown.

--

@ 2017-10-11 23:59       ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-11 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 2017-10-12 02:44 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-12 02:19 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:

>>> If you're still in the running session, you might try a few "undo"s, and
>>> see if that gets you back into a good state.
>>
>> Unfortunately no.
>>
>>> Otherwise, look at the group parameters for your inbox ("G p"). What
>>> does is say for the "active" entry? That entry is Gnus' idea of how many
>>> messages are in the group -- if it's gotten messed up somehow, it might
>>> believe there are no messages in the group. What does it say?
>>
>> G p buffer shows nil.  I found that the ~/Mail/active file had this
>> line:
>>
>>   inbox 1 1 y
>>
>> and fixed it setting the first ‘1‘ to the number of posts in that group,
>> then I got my emails back in the summary buffer.  But it keeps
>> forgetting my ticks when I fetch new mail.  They are absent from the
>> relevant sexp in the ~/.newsrc.eld file.
>
> Additionally, I see that the ‘.overview’ file for ~/Mail/inbox is
> truncated, and only includes entries for the last dozen-or-so messages.
> I've tried to regenerate this file with entries for all the messages
> without success.  When I do ‘/ o’ now, it shows the items in that file
> first, whatever number I enter to the prompt.  The second time I hit ‘/
> o’ and enter some number, that many messages are shown.

It seems that I've solved this with help from an emacs stack exchange
answer [1], using the command ‘nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory’.

[1] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/19359

--

@ 2017-10-12 10:34         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-10-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

> On 2017-10-12 02:44 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately no.

>>> G p buffer shows nil.  I found that the ~/Mail/active file had this
>>> line:
>>>
>>>   inbox 1 1 y
>>>
>>> and fixed it setting the first ‘1‘ to the number of posts in that group,
>>> then I got my emails back in the summary buffer.  But it keeps
>>> forgetting my ticks when I fetch new mail.  They are absent from the
>>> relevant sexp in the ~/.newsrc.eld file.
>>
>> Additionally, I see that the ‘.overview’ file for ~/Mail/inbox is
>> truncated, and only includes entries for the last dozen-or-so messages.
>> I've tried to regenerate this file with entries for all the messages
>> without success.  When I do ‘/ o’ now, it shows the items in that file
>> first, whatever number I enter to the prompt.  The second time I hit ‘/
>> o’ and enter some number, that many messages are shown.
>
> It seems that I've solved this with help from an emacs stack exchange
> answer [1], using the command ‘nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory’.
>
> [1] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/19359

Glad you got it solved!