* nnrss how to subscribe
@ 2016-09-13  5:29 Arkady Grudzinsky
From: Arkady Grudzinsky @ 2016-09-13  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Some RSS feeds appear to display HTML instead of XML.  For
instance, I can't subscribe my Gnus to any of the feeds listed on
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/feedindex/

Here is the snippet of the message buffer:

Contacting host: www.thetimes.co.uk:80
nnrss: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss: Not valid XML (error XML: (Not Well-Formed) Invalid entity reference) and w3-parse doesn't work (void-function w3-parse-buffer)
XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss

Normally an RSS URL would display XML code in the browser as this
one http://rss.dw.com/rdf/rss-en-all
But when I type  http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss in my
browser, I'm redirected to http://www.thetimes.co.uk.

Is there a way to bypass this redirection?

Thanks.

--
Arkady

From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-09-13  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Arkady writes:

> Normally an RSS URL would display XML code in the browser as this
> one http://rss.dw.com/rdf/rss-en-all
> But when I type  http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss in my
> browser, I'm redirected to http://www.thetimes.co.uk.
>
> Is there a way to bypass this redirection?

When you ask for that URL at www.thetimes.co.uk, you get a redirect:

  $ wget -S http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss
  --2016-09-13 07:49:38--  http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss
  Resolving www.thetimes.co.uk (www.thetimes.co.uk)... 194.221.65.8, 194.221.65.62
  Connecting to www.thetimes.co.uk (www.thetimes.co.uk)|194.221.65.8|:80... connected.
  HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
    HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
    Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 05:49:38 GMT
    Connection: keep-alive
    Set-Cookie: nuk_customer_location_hint=UK; path=/; domain=.thetimes.co.uk

So their webserver doesn't want to give you a feed, but redirects you
to the frontpage.

Why they do that is not something the client can discover automatically.

Maybe the do User-Agent-sniffing, maybe they just misconfigured their
webserver...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I got into the driver’s seat                                Adam Sjøgren
  And I drove down 42nd Street                           asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2016-09-13  6:16   ` Arkady Grudzinsky
From: Arkady Grudzinsky @ 2016-09-13  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, Sep 12 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> When you ask for that URL at www.thetimes.co.uk, you get a redirect:
>
>   $ wget -S http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss

Thanks.  I tried this URL in inoreader and it can't subscribe to
it either.

But this URL works in Inoreader:
http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/feed

wget -S http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/feed

results in downloading the XML file

However, Gnus refuses to subscribe to it with this message:

Contacting host: kremlin.ru:80
XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/feed

--
Arkady

@ 2016-09-13 10:50     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-09-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Arkady writes:

> On Mon, Sep 12 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> When you ask for that URL at www.thetimes.co.uk, you get a redirect:
>>
>>   $ wget -S http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/rss
>
> Thanks.  I tried this URL in inoreader and it can't subscribe to
> it either.
>
> But this URL works in Inoreader:
> http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/feed

What does this have to do with www.thetimes.co.uk?

Oh, nothing, you are just proceeding to the next problem... Ok.

> wget -S http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/feed
>
> results in downloading the XML file
>
> However, Gnus refuses to subscribe to it with this message:

Does nnrss handle Atom? The feed from kremlin.ru is not an RSS-feed but
an Atom-feed, as far as I can see.

I think at some point you had to convert Atom to RSS for nnrss to read
it, but I stopped using nnrss many years ago, so this may be outdated
information. See also:

 · https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusRss#toc6

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Écoutez la colere du peuple"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2016-09-13 20:04       ` Arkady Grudzinsky
From: Arkady Grudzinsky @ 2016-09-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Sep 13 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Does nnrss handle Atom? The feed from kremlin.ru is not an RSS-feed but
> an Atom-feed, as far as I can see.
>
> I think at some point you had to convert Atom to RSS for nnrss to read
> it, but I stopped using nnrss many years ago, so this may be outdated
> information. See also:
>
>  · https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusRss#toc6

Thanks! I'll play with it some more.  At least, I understand why
it does not work now.

Using gwene.org seems to be another solution, but for some reason
I can't reach http://gwene.org in my browser although it seems to
be responding to ping and I can see gwene.org nntp groups in
Gnus.  It may have the web server temporarily down.  I have not
seen any announcements of gwene.org closing.

--
Arkady

@ 2016-09-14  7:09         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-09-14  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Arkady writes:

> Using gwene.org seems to be another solution, but for some reason
> I can't reach http://gwene.org in my browser although it seems to
> be responding to ping and I can see gwene.org nntp groups in
> Gnus.  It may have the web server temporarily down.  I have not
> seen any announcements of gwene.org closing.

The Gwene website is down as - more or less - a side effect of the
"Gmane ending/Gmane resurrection" story, I think.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Efter 90?"                                                  Adam Sjøgren
 "89"                                                    asjo@koldfront.dk