* Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
       [not found] <mailman.2746.1474467763.22741.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-09-22 12:19 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2819.1474550834.22741.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-09-22 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:25:26 +0800 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

EA> What I think would be preferable would be if a server status of "closed"
EA> persisted between Gnus restarts. Then you could just leave it closed,
EA> and open it manually when you decide you want to check news.

Manual work always sucks :)

I think a new server parameter `check-reachable' or something like that
would make sense. It could be a number (indicating connection timeout
time) or a path (a command to run to check connectivity).

I'll follow up on emacs-devel regarding socket timeouts in general. I
think the improvement has to be made in the C core.

Ted

* Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
@ 2016-09-22 13:27   ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2819.1474550834.22741.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-09-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

> I think a new server parameter `check-reachable' or something like that
> would make sense. It could be a number (indicating connection timeout
> time) or a path (a command to run to check connectivity).
>
> I'll follow up on emacs-devel regarding socket timeouts in general. I
> think the improvement has to be made in the C core.

This would be great! Shall I raise a wishlist bug report in order to
trace the progress?

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2016-09-22 13:31     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2016-09-22 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:27:03 +0200 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
MA> Hi Ted,

>> I think a new server parameter `check-reachable' or something like that
>> would make sense. It could be a number (indicating connection timeout
>> time) or a path (a command to run to check connectivity).
>>
>> I'll follow up on emacs-devel regarding socket timeouts in general. I
>> think the improvement has to be made in the C core.

MA> This would be great! Shall I raise a wishlist bug report in order to
MA> trace the progress?

Sure. The C core has to support this parameter first, so there's two
wishlist bugs actually. Would you mind creating them?

Ted

* Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
@ 2016-10-21  9:56       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2016-10-21  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

>>> I think a new server parameter `check-reachable' or something like that
>>> would make sense. It could be a number (indicating connection timeout
>>> time) or a path (a command to run to check connectivity).
>>>
>>> I'll follow up on emacs-devel regarding socket timeouts in general. I
>>> think the improvement has to be made in the C core.
>
> MA> This would be great! Shall I raise a wishlist bug report in order to
> MA> trace the progress?
>
> Sure. The C core has to support this parameter first, so there's two
> wishlist bugs actually. Would you mind creating them?

Finally, I've created bug#24752. For the problem in C core, I haven't
done anything because I don't believe I could express sufficiently what
shall be done.

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
@ 2016-09-22  2:25 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-09-22  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Hi,
>
> maybe it is a known technique, but even after RTFM I couldn't find it ...
>
> I have configured an imap server which is reachable only sometimes (when
> I have entered the company's lan). Connecting it via gnus takes always
> ~2 min, until there is a timeout, and the server is ignored ("denied" in
> the *Server* buffer).
>
> How could I change my configuration, that this timeout is reduced? Or
> that prior to connecting the server via imap there is a check, whether
> the server is reachable?
>
> Extra bonus if I could configure it such a way that I don't need to
> confirm that the server isn't reachable.
>
> Thanks, and best regards, Michael.

I think what people do is to make sure all the groups belonging to that
server are set at a fairly high level, and then, when starting Gnus and
checking for news, only check at a lower level. I have wrapper functions
that call (gnus 4) and (gnus-group-get-new-news 4), and set less
interesting servers at level 5.

What I think would be preferable would be if a server status of "closed"
persisted between Gnus restarts. Then you could just leave it closed,
and open it manually when you decide you want to check news.

Eric

* Suppressing unavailable imap server by default
@ 2016-09-21 13:48 Michael Albinus