* Re: How to ignore "Reply-To"?
       [not found] <mailman.1453.1224346409.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-18 16:29 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2008-10-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> How can I ignore Reply-To header when replying or (very-)wide-replying
> to a mail? Sometimes there's a need to overrule the Reply-To that was
> set by a mailing list software.

This is emacs, an editor!
Just edit out whatever header you want to edit out.

CAUTION: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of
85 million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

* Re: How to ignore "Reply-To"?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1470.1224366882.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-03  8:00         ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-02-03  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2008-10-19 00:54 (+0300), Teemu Likonen wrote:

> In some mailing lists it's a convention that messages are posted always
> to the list only (not "wide reply"). In such situations the list
> software usually adds automatic "Reply-To: <list>". For me it's fine,
> and I don't want to set broken-reply-to because then I'd always need to
> use wide reply first and then remove all recipients except the mailing
> list address. It would be too much manual work in nearly always editing
> recipients. (Unless there's another reply command which replies to the
> list address only.)
>
> So, it seems that it's generally easier to not set broken-reply-to and
> just honor the Reply-To set by the mailing software. In those rare
> situations when I need to reply privately outside the list I can just
> copy and paste necessary addresses.
>
> Basically I'd like to have three different reply buttons:

>      possible Reply-To).
>   2. Reply to all people. The original author's address (or at user
>      option, the Reply-To field) goes to "To" field and other recipients
>      to "Cc" field.
>   3. Reply to mailing list address only (the MUA needs to know what the
>      address is so it must be configured).
>
> It would be nice to have these three options always available. I used
> Mutt previously and found those options handy.

This is old thread but I'll reply because I just found an answer. Even
though this might be obvious to many of you I'll post my summary here in
this same thread.

So Gnus already has this functionality that I was asking for. :-)

If a mailing list has Reply-To pointing to the list, configure group
parameters like this:

    (broken-reply-to . t)
    (to-address . "list@address")

Now in summary buffer command "F" will reply just to the mailing list
(list@address), "R" will reply to the original author only and "S W"
will reply to all ("To" original author and "Cc" to list and possibly
other people).

It took a while to figure that out. :-)

* Re: How to ignore "Reply-To"?
@ 2008-11-10 17:31     ` 0000 vk
From: 0000 vk @ 2008-11-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> OK, thanks. Well, I guess this means that if I occasionally want to
> reply privately to somebody on a mailing list I need to copy and paste
> person's address to "To" field. All the reply options (normal, wide and
> very wide) just reply to the list address and nobody else.

(setq message-mail-alias-type    'ecomplete) might be helpful then.

-vk

@ 2008-10-18 22:49         ` John Hasler
From: John Hasler @ 2008-10-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen writes:
> Basically I'd like to have three different reply buttons:

>     possible Reply-To).
>  2. Reply to all people. The original author's address (or at user
>     option, the Reply-To field) goes to "To" field and other recipients
>     to "Cc" field.
>  3. Reply to mailing list address only (the MUA needs to know what the
>     address is so it must be configured).

> It would be nice to have these three options always available.

Yes, it would.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org

* Re: How to ignore "Reply-To"?
@ 2008-10-18 21:54       ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1470.1224366882.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-10-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Reiner Steib [2008-10-18 22:35 +0200]:

> On Sat, Oct 18 2008, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
>> Well, I guess this means that if I occasionally want to reply
>> privately to somebody on a mailing list I need to copy and paste
>> person's address to "To" field. All the reply options (normal, wide
>> and very wide) just reply to the list address and nobody else.
>
> Did you really try to set `broken-reply-to'?  When I use r/R on a
> message in the group gmane.comp.tex.german, where I have set
> (broken-reply-to . t) in `gnus-parameters', the article goes to the
> address in the To field and the list address (from Reply-To) is
> ignored.

Yes I did, and thanks Sivaram for the tip. It can be useful but it's not
quite optimal for me.

@ 2008-10-18 20:35     ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1470.1224366882.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-10-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Oct 18 2008, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> Well, I guess this means that if I occasionally want to reply
> privately to somebody on a mailing list I need to copy and paste
> person's address to "To" field. All the reply options (normal, wide
> and very wide) just reply to the list address and nobody else.

Did you really try to set `broken-reply-to'?  When I use r/R on a
message in the group gmane.comp.tex.german, where I have set
(broken-reply-to . t) in `gnus-parameters', the article goes to the
address in the To field and the list address (from Reply-To) is
ignored.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to ignore "Reply-To"?
@ 2008-10-18 17:34   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-10-18 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan [2008-10-18 22:17 +0530]:

@ 2008-10-18 16:47 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-10-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> How can I ignore Reply-To header when replying or (very-)wide-replying
> to a mail? Sometimes there's a need to overrule the Reply-To that was
> set by a mailing list software.

Well, the Gnus default is sane when you're in a mailing list group in
that you typically reply to the list.  That said, you could tinker
with

`broken-reply-to'
     Elements like `(broken-reply-to . t)' signals that `Reply-To'
     headers in this group are to be ignored, and for the header to be
     hidden if `reply-to' is part of `gnus-boring-article-headers'.
     This can be useful if you're reading a mailing list group where
     the listserv has inserted `Reply-To' headers that point back to
     the listserv itself.  That is broken behavior.  So there!

in Group Parameters documentation in the manual.

Since the modification you wanted is infrequent, it's best to simply
edit the reply-to.

 sivaram

* How to ignore "Reply-To"?
@ 2008-10-18  6:14 Teemu Likonen