* Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-02 20:26 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-02 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

how can I tell gnus to display the plain text part instead of the html
part in multipart messages by default?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-04 13:20       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-04 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: ding

Hi Reiner,

>> Strange "text/html" is in it by default, but I have at least one
>> article with both html and text part where the html part is shown as
>> default...
>
> This should not happen.  Could you debug it or send the article
> (private info removed) to ding as a gzipped attachment?

Sure. After investigating a bit further I found out that gnus displays
always the html part and omits the text part with the default values of
`mm-discouraged-alternatives' and `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

With

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
      gnus-buttonized-mime-types  '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))

I get the buttons and the text part is displayed by default.

Here's an example multipart mail.

[-- Attachment #2: A multipart message where the html part is displayed by default --]

>> Anyway, this lead me to `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' which is a nice
>> feature.
> [...]
>> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>       '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>>       gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>>       '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))
>>
>> and the text part is displayed by default + mime buttons. Nice!
>
> I think this is more or less the example from (info
> "(emacs-mime)Display Customization"), isn't it?

Yes, at least the setting of `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

Bye,
Tassilo

--
      "DRM manages rights in the same way a jail manages freedom"

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-02 22:27     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-02 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Aug 02 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Strange "text/html" is in it by default, but I have at least one article
> with both html and text part where the html part is shown as default...

This should not happen.  Could you debug it or send the article
(private info removed) to ding as a gzipped attachment?

> Anyway, this lead me to `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' which is a nice
> feature.
[...]
> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>       '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>       gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>       '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))
>
> and the text part is displayed by default + mime buttons. Nice!

I think this is more or less the example from
(info "(emacs-mime)Display Customization"), isn't it?

BTW, I haven't forgotten your sticky article buffers patch.  I just
didn't have time to look into it yet.  Maybe you want to send a
reminder to ding if nothing happens within the next days.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-02 21:12   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Adam,

> I have got something to the tune of this, in my .gnus:
>
>  (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>        '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched"))

Strange "text/html" is in it by default, but I have at least one article
with both html and text part where the html part is shown as default...

Anyway, this lead me to `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' which is a nice
feature.

Now I have

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
      '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
      gnus-buttonized-mime-types
      '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))

and the text part is displayed by default + mime buttons. Nice!

Bye,
Tassilo
--
If programmers deserve to  be rewarded for creating innovative programs,
by the same  token they deserve to be punished if  they restrict the use

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
       [not found] <mailman.4271.1186086396.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-02 20:38 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-08-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:26:17 +0200, Tassilo wrote:

> Hi,
> how can I tell gnus to display the plain text part instead of the html
> part in multipart messages by default?

I have got something to the tune of this, in my .gnus:

 (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
       '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched"))

  Best regards,

--
 "What are you doing in _here_?!"                             Adam Sjøgren
 "Why? Are you taking a survey?"                         asjo@koldfront.dk