* Read mail and newsgroups
@ 2007-07-13 17:36 someusernamehere
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-07-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hey I have a question how I can read my mail and newsgroups in the
same Gnus clients, I do this:

M-x gnus

but open the newsgroups, how I can tell to gnus that I want to read my
mail and no the newsgroups?

thanks

* Re: Read mail and newsgroups
@ 2007-07-13 17:50 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-07-13 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
> how I can tell to gnus that I want to read my
> mail and no the newsgroups?

Groups have levels.  See the manual:
info://Gnus/Group+Levels

| All groups have a level of "subscribedness".  For instance, if a group
| is on level 2, it is more subscribed than a group on level 5.
|    Remember:  The higher the level of the group, the less important it
| is.
|    It is recommended that you keep all your mail groups (if any) on
| quite low levels (e.g. 1 or 2).

The built-in help system will tell you a bit about most functions:
`C-h f gnus RET'

| `gnus' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
| If ARG is non-nil and a positive number, Gnus will use that as the
| startup level.

So use...
   `C-u 2 M-x gnus RET'
...to start Gnus reading only groups at level 1 & 2, which is where
your mail groups should generally be.

* Re: Read mail and newsgroups
@ 2007-07-16  7:49   ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-16  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> writes:

> someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
>> how I can tell to gnus that I want to read my
>> mail and no the newsgroups?
>
> Groups have levels.  See the manual:
> info://Gnus/Group+Levels

Hi,

I have a related issue. Once setting the levels of the Mail groups, I
have the problem that I can only set them to be either read or not
read on gnus startup and with the "g" command in the Groups buffer. I
cannot seem to have Mail groups read individually with Meta-g as I
could with News groups.

The variable I use to control if Mail is downloaded on startup is:

(setq nnml-get-new-mail t) ;; set to nil if we do not want to download
                           ;; immediately

So, if I don't want Mail groups read on startup, I set the above to
nil, but then M-g does nothing, whereas I can easily read in new News
for a specific group with the M-g key (and if the server is
disconnected I can find it in the server buffer and connect
again).

This has been worrying me for over two years, and no amount of Google
searches has turned up anything remotely like a solution. Any hints?
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...