From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: can gnus do this ?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:19:58 +1000	[thread overview]

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Another difference in my situation is that I'm relaying mail to a pop
> server on our main network, rather than using my own mail system to
> send mail out to the internet.

Due to issues of spam and misconfigured MTAs, many ISPs are now blocking access
to port 25 on dynamic mail addresses they allocate to users. I've also seen
quite a few ISPs who actually put their dynamic IP addresses into various
blacklists, like those run by SpamCop etc. This emans that many sites will
block an e-mail that comes from a server running on a dynamic IP which is
allocated by an ISP to their users.

Putting these two points together, it is now beginning to make more sense for
users to use their ISPs mail server rather than one they have on their own
system. This is what I do and I don't miss the config/maintenance of a local
MTA at all!

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au