* posting to news.newsguy.com
@ 2005-03-04 19:04 Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-03-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder if anyone else is having problems posting to newsguy.  Last
week, gnus decided it wouldn't post to gnu.emacs.help.  Today, it's
decided it won't past to comp.mail.mutt.  I emailed newsguy about it
last week and their response was that there wasn't anything going on
with that newsgroup; and the only thing they could see out of the
ordinary was that my newsreader was disconnecting and reconnecting
repeatedly in a short period of time.

I have been using gnus for so long that I dread the thought of trying
something else, but it seems like there's always some little thing
like this that's getting borked up.  I know I'm being grouchy but
... I just want it to work.

Thanks.

mp

Gnus v5.9.0
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.1.30) of
2005-01-24 on ellen
gentoo linux

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA
"When a person behaves in keeping with his conscience, when he

* Re: posting to news.newsguy.com
@ 2005-03-04 22:39 ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2005-03-04 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote:
>I wonder if anyone else is having problems posting to newsguy.  Last
>week, gnus decided it wouldn't post to gnu.emacs.help.  Today, it's
>decided it won't past to comp.mail.mutt.  I emailed newsguy about it
>last week and their response was that there wasn't anything going on
>with that newsgroup; and the only thing they could see out of the
>ordinary was that my newsreader was disconnecting and reconnecting
>repeatedly in a short period of time.
>
>I have been using gnus for so long that I dread the thought of trying
>something else, but it seems like there's always some little thing
>like this that's getting borked up.  I know I'm being grouchy but
>... I just want it to work.

I used to use newsguy.com as my primary news server, but had an
experience similar to that some time back, and switched to using
my ISP's news service (which they recently changed from another
server to supernews.com, which did not make me at all happy, as
I'd dropped supernews a couple years before in favor of
newsguy...).

Anyway, at one point newsguy did something to their server that
made an older version of gnus stop working, and trying to deal
with them to find out what was going on was nothing short of a
total pain.  Eventually I just upgraded to what was then the
latest version of gnus, and all was well again.  But it really
annoyed me to have a network control type tell me they had done
absolutely nothing, and that if they had a problem there would
be thousands and thousands of complaints, and there weren't.
(I'm a retired long distance telecom weenie, and I *know* that
you can have major disasters that only show up with a few little
complaints... which when investigated turn out to be the tip of
an iceberg with thousands and thousands of calls being dropped!)

Whatever...  I just tried posting to alt.test using newsguy's
server, twice.  It takes the article.  The next time I update, I
see that there is one unread article listed for alt.test.
However, no new article is actually available.  An article
posted to supernews.com did show up, at least on supernews.com,
though not on newsguy.com.  And then, 24 minutes after it was
posted to newsguy.com, the first of my articles has shown up on
supernews.com, but none of them have shown up on newsguy.com as
yet.

It appears they are experiencing temporary technical
difficulties... ;-)

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

* Re: posting to news.newsguy.com
@ 2005-03-05  1:23   ` Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-03-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Floyd> Michael Powe <michael+gnus@trollope.org> wrote:
    >> I wonder if anyone else is having problems posting to newsguy.
    >> Last week, gnus decided it wouldn't post to gnu.emacs.help.
    >> Today, it's decided it won't past to comp.mail.mutt.  I emailed
    >> newsguy about it last week and their response was that there
    >> wasn't anything going on with that newsgroup; and the only
    >> thing they could see out of the ordinary was that my newsreader
    >> was disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly in a short period
    >> of time.
    >>
    >> I have been using gnus for so long that I dread the thought of
    >> trying something else, but it seems like there's always some
    >> little thing like this that's getting borked up.  I know I'm
    >> being grouchy but ... I just want it to work.

    Floyd> I used to use newsguy.com as my primary news server, but
    Floyd> had an experience similar to that some time back, and
    Floyd> switched to using my ISP's news service (which they
    Floyd> recently changed from another server to supernews.com,
    Floyd> which did not make me at all happy, as I'd dropped
    Floyd> supernews a couple years before in favor of newsguy...).

yeah, i just re-upped on newsguy, too.  i got on them because my isp
went to an outsourcer and there were just all kinds of problems.
articles would disappear, get renumbered -- yeah, that was cool.  that
was a few years ago, though.

    Floyd> Anyway, at one point newsguy did something to their server
    Floyd> that made an older version of gnus stop working, and trying
    Floyd> to deal with them to find out what was going on was nothing
    Floyd> short of a total pain.  Eventually I just upgraded to what
    Floyd> was then the latest version of gnus, and all was well
    Floyd> again.  But it really annoyed me to have a network control
    Floyd> type tell me they had done absolutely nothing, and that if
    Floyd> they had a problem there would be thousands and thousands
    Floyd> of complaints, and there weren't.  (I'm a retired long
    Floyd> distance telecom weenie, and I *know* that you can have
    Floyd> major disasters that only show up with a few little
    Floyd> complaints... which when investigated turn out to be the
    Floyd> tip of an iceberg with thousands and thousands of calls
    Floyd> being dropped!)

    Floyd> Whatever...  I just tried posting to alt.test using
    Floyd> newsguy's server, twice.  It takes the article.  The next
    Floyd> time I update, I see that there is one unread article
    Floyd> listed for alt.test.  However, no new article is actually
    Floyd> available.  An article posted to supernews.com did show up,
    Floyd> at least on supernews.com, though not on newsguy.com.  And
    Floyd> then, 24 minutes after it was posted to newsguy.com, the
    Floyd> first of my articles has shown up on supernews.com, but
    Floyd> none of them have shown up on newsguy.com as yet.

    Floyd> It appears they are experiencing temporary technical
    Floyd> difficulties... ;-)

Well, they "batch post" -- posts go out every 15 minutes.  So, there
is an annoying delay in there.  But I am able to post in here and in
alt.test at the same time i can't post in the other newsgroup.  it's
just weird.  Gnus acts like it's sending, an article ID is generated,
but it's hung.  If i leave it long enough, the connection will close.

Thanks.  I may have to give the isp connection another try.

mp

--
'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

* Re: posting to news.newsguy.com
@ 2005-03-05  2:03     ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2005-03-05  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Well, they "batch post" -- posts go out every 15 minutes.  So, there

Sure, but it appears they aren't necessarily posting the articles,
though they are propagating them to other servers.  The two articles
that I posted to newsguy never did show up on their server!  But
both of them showed up 20+ minutes later on supernews, so they are
being sent to other servers.

>is an annoying delay in there.  But I am able to post in here and in
>alt.test at the same time i can't post in the other newsgroup.  it's
>just weird.  Gnus acts like it's sending, an article ID is generated,
>but it's hung.  If i leave it long enough, the connection will close.

Hmmm...  I occasionally get that with supernews, though it hasn't
done if for a few days now.  I've usually killed the process, and
then waited awhile to see if anything showed up.  The problem is
that on a couple of occasions I've waited for an hour, and then
reposted only to have the original also show up awhile later too.

>Thanks.  I may have to give the isp connection another try.

I'm a bit torqued at my ISP for switching to supernews.  They were
using america.net, and I found it to be better than either supernews
or newsguy  (and I've been using newsguy since it was zippo.com, way
back when).