* gnus error on news.motzarella.org: "Couldn't enter <group>"
@ 2007-05-15 13:20 Gernot Hassenpflug
       [not found] ` <mailman.697.1179247295.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-05-15 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello all,

After the demise of my university newsserver and the lack of European
groups at my current work's server, I applied to motzarella.org for a
free text-groups news access, which I was granted, thanks a lot to
those fine folks.

I'm using Debian GNU/linux unstable with the standard Emacs21.4, as
well as the snapshots for X11 and GTK. All behave similarly in the
following case.

All seemed to be going well, but I noticed that one group kept giving
me trouble:

rec.aviation.military always had 0 articles, and I could not enter it
from the server buffer (below the output from *Messages*):

Retrieving newsgroup: rec.aviation.military...
Can't select group
Retrieving newsgroup: rec.aviation.military...
Can't select group

The odd thing is that the group is perfectly available under
Netscape/Mozilla's derivative newsreaders.

A search of this group on Google brought up nothing on the error
message in the first ten pages. Hence my question to the group.

I thought perhaps it is owing to some limitation of the number of
articles gnus can handle, since there are some 5 million or so article
numbers to initially filter (most expired I suspect). I have no
trouble with such large groups as comp.text.tex though, so I am a bit
stumped.

If anyone has pointers, please let me know (if someone has an account
with motzarella please try and let me know the result. The admins seem
to be very capable and quick in response, so if someone wants to get
an account for the purposes of checking this, it should not take more
than a day round-trip for the request to be processes). I am loathe to
email motzarella since it is most likely that I misunderstand
something about gnus than that there is some setting error on their
side which causes gnus grief.

Many thanks,
     Gernot Hassenpflug
     Tokyo, Japan
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...

* Re: gnus error on news.motzarella.org: "Couldn't enter <group>"
@ 2007-05-15 16:32 ` Tom Rauchenwald
       [not found] ` <mailman.697.1179247295.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-05-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello all,
[...]
> I'm using Debian GNU/linux unstable with the standard Emacs21.4, as
> well as the snapshots for X11 and GTK. All behave similarly in the
> following case.
>
> All seemed to be going well, but I noticed that one group kept giving
> me trouble:
>
> rec.aviation.military always had 0 articles, and I could not enter it
> from the server buffer (below the output from *Messages*):

[...]
> If anyone has pointers, please let me know (if someone has an account
> with motzarella please try and let me know the result. The admins seem
> to be very capable and quick in response, so if someone wants to get
> an account for the purposes of checking this, it should not take more
> than a day round-trip for the request to be processes). I am loathe to
> email motzarella since it is most likely that I misunderstand
> something about gnus than that there is some setting error on their
> side which causes gnus grief.

I tried, same result.
I use a cvs-snapshot of Emacs:
GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.12) of
2007-05-08 on pacem, modified by Debian
and Gnus from sid:
No Gnus v0.6
You could post to motzarella.newusers or motzarella.talk and ask there btw.

> Many thanks,
>      Gernot Hassenpflug
>      Tokyo, Japan

Tom

* Re: gnus error on news.motzarella.org: "Couldn't enter <group>"
@ 2007-05-15 16:46   ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-15 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:
> I use a cvs-snapshot of Emacs:
> GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.12) of
> 2007-05-08 on pacem, modified by Debian
> and Gnus from sid:
> No Gnus v0.6

>From debian which repository do you have that version? In the official
repositories only this version is available:
GNU Emacs 22.0.95.1 of 2007-03-02 on pacem, modified by Debian

regards
Seweryn

* Re: gnus error on news.motzarella.org: "Couldn't enter <group>"
@ 2007-05-15 17:12     ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-05-15 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Seweryn Kokot <s.kokot@po.opole.pl> writes:

> Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:
>> I use a cvs-snapshot of Emacs:
>> GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.12) of
>> 2007-05-08 on pacem, modified by Debian
>> and Gnus from sid:
>> No Gnus v0.6
>
>>From debian which repository do you have that version? In the official
> repositories only this version is available:
> GNU Emacs 22.0.95.1 of 2007-03-02 on pacem, modified by Debian

deb http://emacs.orebokech.com sid main

Look at <http://emacs.orebokech.com/> for more Information (the
maintainer is the same as previously, but he maintains the snapshot
packages now outside of Debian)

> regards
> Seweryn

Tom

* Re: gnus error on news.motzarella.org: "Couldn't enter <group>"
@ 2007-05-15 18:08       ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-15 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:

> deb http://emacs.orebokech.com sid main
>
> Look at <http://emacs.orebokech.com/> for more Information (the
> maintainer is the same as previously, but he maintains the snapshot
> packages now outside of Debian)

Thanks. I forgot that this info can be found on emacswiki.org too.

Seweryn

@ 2007-05-15 22:57   ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-05-15 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:

> Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
> [...]
>> I'm using Debian GNU/linux unstable with the standard Emacs21.4, as
>> well as the snapshots for X11 and GTK. All behave similarly in the
>> following case.
>>
>> All seemed to be going well, but I noticed that one group kept giving
>> me trouble:
>>
>> rec.aviation.military always had 0 articles, and I could not enter it
>> from the server buffer (below the output from *Messages*):
>>
> [...]
>>
>> If anyone has pointers, please let me know (if someone has an account
>> with motzarella please try and let me know the result. The admins seem
>> to be very capable and quick in response, so if someone wants to get
>> an account for the purposes of checking this, it should not take more
>> than a day round-trip for the request to be processes). I am loathe to
>> email motzarella since it is most likely that I misunderstand
>> something about gnus than that there is some setting error on their
>> side which causes gnus grief.
>
> I tried, same result.
> I use a cvs-snapshot of Emacs:
> GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.12) of
> 2007-05-08 on pacem, modified by Debian
> and Gnus from sid:
> No Gnus v0.6

Many thanks Tom, much appreciated.

> You could post to motzarella.newusers or motzarella.talk and ask there btw.

Ah, I forgot there would be local groups. Gah! Will report back, it
seems unlikely to me that this issue affects only one group.

--
BOFH excuse #421:

Domain controller not responding