* A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-01 12:59 Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes @ 2007-08-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I have been using happily the v5-10 branch of the gnus cvs with emacs
21 for years, and now that I switched to emacs 22 it does not work
anymore. I just came back to the bundled gnus 5.11, but I want to
patch it (see separate message).

So my question is: what is a correct cvs branch to use with emacs 22
(the one that would get merged into next emacs 22 release, I guess)?
More generally, is there a roadmap of existing gnus branches?

Thanks in advance.

JMarc

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 12:39 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-08-02 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> writes:

> So my question is: what is a correct cvs branch to use with emacs 22
> (the one that would get merged into next emacs 22 release, I guess)?

You can use the Gnus that comes with Emacs. In fact, it's not really out
of date.

Or download No Gnus from <http://gnus.org/dist/>. Subscribe to
ding-announce and you're set for new releases.

For CVS, why not go with HEAD?

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 12:53   ` Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes @ 2007-08-02 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) writes:
> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> writes:
>
>> So my question is: what is a correct cvs branch to use with emacs 22
>> (the one that would get merged into next emacs 22 release, I guess)?
>
> You can use the Gnus that comes with Emacs. In fact, it's not really out
> of date.

It is just the I wanted to patch it (as explained in a separate
message). Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to follow the
branch that corresponds to the 5.11 release, if such a beast exists. I
have to admit I am a bit lost with the release scheme...

> For CVS, why not go with HEAD?

Don't know. I guess I wanted to stay on the 'slightly adventurous'
side of things. Is HEAD stable enough in practice?

JMarc

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 13:21     ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-08-02 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes@inria.fr> writes:

> daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> For CVS, why not go with HEAD?
>
> Don't know. I guess I wanted to stay on the 'slightly adventurous'
> side of things. Is HEAD stable enough in practice?

It depends -- YMMV, of course. I used to update sporadically from CVS
and I seldom experienced problems. Now I wait for No Gnus releases (that
is once a year or so), because there is no real reason for me to follow
CVS. I guess you could call this "slightly adventurous"?

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 13:34       ` Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
From: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes @ 2007-08-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> It depends -- YMMV, of course. I used to update sporadically from CVS
> and I seldom experienced problems. Now I wait for No Gnus releases (that
> is once a year or so), because there is no real reason for me to follow
> CVS. I guess you could call this "slightly adventurous"?

Yes, probably. One last thing: is it normal that the v5-10 branch does
not work with emacs 22.1? I thought that emacs' version 5.11 was just
a rebranding of some v5.10.x version.

JMarc

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 15:57     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-08-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:53:21 +0200, Jean-Marc wrote:

> Don't know. I guess I wanted to stay on the 'slightly adventurous'
> side of things. Is HEAD stable enough in practice?

Has been for me for the last decade or so, but of course your milage may
vary.

  Best regards,

--
 "This Interweb thing, it might just catch on, I'm            Adam Sjøgren
  telling you."                                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: A question about cvs
@ 2007-08-02 19:27         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-02 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Aug 02 2007, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> is it normal that the v5-10 branch does not work with emacs 22.1?

No, please report your problem on the development list
(ding@gnus.org).  The v5-10 branch is still synced with the Emacs 22
branch (and the Emacs CVS trunk currently; though this will change: we
want to sync Gnus trunk and Emacs trunk) and should work correctly
with Emacs 22.1.

> I thought that emacs' version 5.11 was just a rebranding of some
> v5.10.x version.

Correct.

BTW, you can see the changes between Emacs 22.1 and v5-10 using the
tag emacs_22_1 (corresponds to 2007-06-01), e.g.:

$ cvs diff -r emacs_22_1 -r v5-10 lisp/ChangeLog|less

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)