* news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-07 11:05 poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-06-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, all,

        I would like to use gnus to connect to two news servers. In
particular, say, I would like to connect to server "news1.org" directly,
and connect to "news2.org" by socks proxy "proxy.net". Any idea how to
set it up? Thanks

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-08  0:34 ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-06-08  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, all,
>
>         I would like to use gnus to connect to two news servers. In
> particular, say, I would like to connect to server "news1.org" directly,
> and connect to "news2.org" by socks proxy "proxy.net". Any idea how to
> set it up? Thanks

I posted a howto on this in the group about 2 weeks ago, do a
search. Maybe it will help you out. Basically, configure tsocks on
your machine to handle the networks you want to access via proxy, and
exceptions for those you don't want to handle via proxy. Then, start
emacs with tsocks running, so gnus will do the NNTP connections
(via telnet for you?) transparently over socks.

Regards,
        Gernot
--
BOFH excuse #116:

the real ttys became pseudo ttys and vice-versa.

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-08  1:46   ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-06-08  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@nict.go.jp> writes:

> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi, all,
> >
> >         I would like to use gnus to connect to two news servers. In
> > particular, say, I would like to connect to server "news1.org" directly,
> > and connect to "news2.org" by socks proxy "proxy.net". Any idea how to
> > set it up? Thanks
>
> I posted a howto on this in the group about 2 weeks ago, do a
> search. Maybe it will help you out. Basically, configure tsocks on
> your machine to handle the networks you want to access via proxy, and
> exceptions for those you don't want to handle via proxy. Then, start
> emacs with tsocks running, so gnus will do the NNTP connections
> (via telnet for you?) transparently over socks.

I didn't realize that I can configure tsocks to deal with
exceptions. Any hints about the tsocks.conf file? Thanks.

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-08  4:06 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-08  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>         I would like to use gnus to connect to two news servers. In
> particular, say, I would like to connect to server "news1.org" directly,
> and connect to "news2.org" by socks proxy "proxy.net". Any idea how to
> set it up? Thanks

If you have an account in an intermediate host machine outside
of the proxy server and you can access it using ssh or telnet
through the proxy, the nntp-via-* methods are what you look for.

(info "(gnus)Example Methods") <-- type `C-x C-e' here.

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-08 14:16   ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-06-08 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thanks, Katsumi
but it seems that only nntp-via-telnet/rlogin are valid?
I intend to use nntp-via-ssh is possible.

@ 2007-06-09  1:32     ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-06-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

>> >         I would like to use gnus to connect to two news servers. In
>> > particular, say, I would like to connect to server "news1.org" directly,
>> > and connect to "news2.org" by socks proxy "proxy.net". Any idea how to
>> > set it up? Thanks
>>
>> If you have an account in an intermediate host machine outside
>> of the proxy server and you can access it using ssh or telnet
>> through the proxy, the nntp-via-* methods are what you look for.
>>
>> (info "(gnus)Example Methods") <-- type `C-x C-e' here.
>
> --

/repaired top posting/

> thanks, Katsumi
> but it seems that only nntp-via-telnet/rlogin are valid?
> I intend to use nntp-via-ssh is possible.

Not true, see the manual. I admit that I could not debug this when it
did not work at times (after some updates on my previous system) and
often used a separate forwarded port ssh connection and then a
localhost NNTP access. I suspect it works fine now.

,----
| (defvoo nntp-via-rlogin-command "rsh"
|   "*Rlogin command used to connect to an intermediate host.
| This command is used by the methods `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet'
| and `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat'.  The default is \"rsh\", but \"ssh\"
| is a popular alternative.")
`----

Gernot
--
BOFH excuse #163:

no "any" key on keyboard

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-09  7:30       ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2007-06-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@nict.go.jp> writes:

> > thanks, Katsumi
> > but it seems that only nntp-via-telnet/rlogin are valid?
> > I intend to use nntp-via-ssh is possible.
> >

> Not true, see the manual. I admit that I could not debug this when it
> did not work at times (after some updates on my previous system) and
> often used a separate forwarded port ssh connection and then a
> localhost NNTP access. I suspect it works fine now.
>
> From nntp.el (see manual for example and variable options):
>
> ,----
> | (defvoo nntp-via-rlogin-command "rsh"
> |   "*Rlogin command used to connect to an intermediate host.
> | This command is used by the methods `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet'
> | and `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat'.  The default is \"rsh\", but \"ssh\"
> | is a popular alternative.")
> `----

see that. But I still can not get it work, it said "server denied".
Is it a function only valid in gnus 6.0? I am using 5.9

* Re: news server with socks proxy howto?
@ 2007-06-09 22:53         ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-06-09 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@nict.go.jp> writes:
>>
>> > thanks, Katsumi
>> > but it seems that only nntp-via-telnet/rlogin are valid?
>> > I intend to use nntp-via-ssh is possible.
>> >

>> Not true, see the manual. I admit that I could not debug this when it
>> did not work at times (after some updates on my previous system) and
>> often used a separate forwarded port ssh connection and then a
>> localhost NNTP access. I suspect it works fine now.
>>
>> From nntp.el (see manual for example and variable options):
>>
>> ,----
>> | (defvoo nntp-via-rlogin-command "rsh"
>> |   "*Rlogin command used to connect to an intermediate host.
>> | This command is used by the methods `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet'
>> | and `nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-netcat'.  The default is \"rsh\", but \"ssh\"
>> | is a popular alternative.")
>> `----
>>
> see that. But I still can not get it work, it said "server denied".
> Is it a function only valid in gnus 6.0? I am using 5.9

"server denied" means that your setup did not work. You now have to
debug it using emacs' debug functions to see which part of the setup
did not work.
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...