* gnus from debian sid locks emacs
@ 2005-05-04  3:03 Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2005-05-04  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I attempted to install gnus from sid.  After the install and restart of
emacs (via emacspeak, in case it matters) gnus locked emacs and required
a killall emacs.  Are there issues involved with installing gnus over
the version that ships with emacs21 in debian?

Any help with this issue will be appreciated.  I need the newer version
to subscribe to rss feeds.

Thank you,

Denny

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Do what comes naturally.  Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.

* Re: gnus from debian sid locks emacs
@ 2005-05-04 13:21 ` johnsu01
From: johnsu01 @ 2005-05-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I attempted to install gnus from sid.  After the install and restart of emacs
> (via emacspeak, in case it matters) gnus locked emacs and required a killall
> emacs.  Are there issues involved with installing gnus over the version that
> ships with emacs21 in debian?
>
> Any help with this issue will be appreciated.  I need the newer version to
> subscribe to rss feeds.

I'm using both from sid regularly with no problems.

Have you tried starting emacs with -q? That will tell you if the problem is in
your .emacs file. Then try with --no-site-file to see if the problem is in the
site-wide init files.

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: gnus from debian sid locks emacs
@ 2005-05-05 20:09 ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2005-05-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I finally tracked the problem to the fact (I think, I can not see well
enough to tell) of emacspeak not speaking the message to convert the
newsrc.eld file.  I installed and converted the file and gnus ran.  I
tried to read news, but when looking at the article, it looks as if the
article is not wrapping.  I set the variable to wrap the article text
and restarted, but there was no change.  When I move into the article
buffer I can hear the first line being read to me, but after that it
says "Not found" and then reads the header lines.

AAny ideas?  If not, I have uninstalled the new version and am back to
the original and it is functioning well.

Thanks,

Denny
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Q:	How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:	One and a half.