* Re: Setting Gnus up for reading imaps mailboxes
       [not found] ` <m2k73lyj4w.fsf@Stella-Blue.local>
@ 2004-01-26 22:19   ` Panu Kalliokoski
From: Panu Kalliokoski @ 2004-01-26 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm aware of the IMAP documentation.  That only documents a tiniest
bit of using Gnus as an IMAP+SSL mailreader, namely setting up the
connection, and even that, it documents in a quite cursory fashion.

Panu

--
personal contact: atehwa@iki.fi, +35841 5323835
work contact: pkalliok@ling.helsinki.fi, +35850 3678003

* Re: Yet Another Gnus Tutorial (was: Setting Gnus up for reading imaps mailboxes)
       [not found] ` <v9wu7lkxc7.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2004-01-26 22:36   ` Panu Kalliokoski
       [not found]     ` <87k73ejp6c.fsf@amalthea.paradoxical.net>
From: Panu Kalliokoski @ 2004-01-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 21 2004, Panu Kalliokoski wrote:
> How about the menu (only in Gnus 5.10; Gnus 5.10.6 is the latest
> stable release) ...

Yeah, I'm using gnus 5.9.

> | / o runs the command gnus-summary-insert-old-articles
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.

Not in my gnus.  But good to know it exists.

> ... or the FAQ?

Woohoo!  This is a real treasure.  Too bad it's so hard to find.  I
read through _almost_ all gnus documentation, but this one was almost
the last thing, so I didn't notice it.

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)[4.1]") / <URL:http://my.gnus.org/FAQ> ]
> | When I enter a group, all read messages are gone. How to view them
> | again?
> `----

... but actually, this item is not in my gnus' info.  Okay, you can
bash me for not having installed the latest and shiniest gnus and
using the one from debian stable instead.

A couple of people have pointed to gnus.org, which I didn't know
existed.  My experiences with the difficulty of finding documentation
are quite authentic, because I'm a total newcomer to gnus.  Even my
web searches didn't find gnus.org.

> I always wonder why people try to invent »Yet Another Gnus Tutorial«
> instead of improving the manual (suggesting formulations that are more
> clear, suggest additions, ...) or participating in the Gnus Tutorial
> project on <URL:http://my.gnus.org/tutorial>.

I answer the questions separately:

(1) Because the manual is so bad for a tutorial that people most
    probably see no hope doing that.  The manual explicitly says it's
    not a tutorial.

(2) Because I didn't know that project exists.  Thank you for pointing
    it out.  You see, there is a lot of meta-knowledge like this you
    only find out by posting a heated article in g.e.gnus, like I did.

Regards,
        Panu

--

@ 2004-01-26 23:29       ` Panu Kalliokoski
From: Panu Kalliokoski @ 2004-01-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Am I missing something?  A search for "gnus" on google gives
> www.gnus.org as the first hit.

See, I wasn't searching for general gnus documentation but the bits to
get going with IMAP+SSL.  It would be quite terrible if one had to
find /and/ read all available gnus documentation to be able to use it
as an IMAP+SSL mailreader.

Regards,
        Panu

--