* Can gnus take the place of Mutt?
@ 2003-05-06 12:18 wang yin
       [not found] ` <iloverobin.87smrs2qky.fsf@news.socha.net>
From: wang yin @ 2003-05-06 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm used to Mutt. But I really don't want to use a email client and a
news reader separately.

Can you compare gnus and Mutt for me?
If it has all the facilities of mutt, I'd like to switch to gnus.

Thanks.

--
Wang Yin
DA Lab, Tsinghua University,

* Re: Can gnus take the place of Mutt?
       [not found] ` <iloverobin.87smrs2qky.fsf@news.socha.net>
@ 2003-05-06 17:58   ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-05-06 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> * wang yin <wy@wangyin.com> writes:
>
>> Can you compare gnus and Mutt for me?
>
> Gnus works. mutt works less. But faster.
>
>> If it has all the facilities of mutt, I'd like to switch to gnus.
>
> Gnus is the proper superset of everything related to either mail or
> news. It is also 50x as big and slow as mutt or slrn, but it's well
> worth the wait.

My setup here: the MIT mailservers have IMAP support, and send out
notification via our local instant messaging system when a message
comes in.  If there's something really important that I want to read
RIGHT NOW!, I'll fire up mutt, which will fairly swiftly peek into my
IMAP mailbox and show me what's there.  I basically have done no mutt
configuration beyond changing the default mailbox.  If I want to read
things for real, I'll hit 'g' from the group buffer and suffer through
Gnus importing, sorting, despamming, and otherwise generally mangling
my mail.  Which, in the end, is a much better interface to me for
reading things (mail, news, Discuss [yet another MIT thing], and so
on), but it takes time.

Now, I just need nnlivejournal, nnrt, and nndebbugs (I started on the
last one, at least) and I'll never have to read any content in a Web
browser again.  :-)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell