* Stupid font question
@ 2003-05-04 18:15 Jesse F. Hughes
       [not found] ` <84he89lv7u.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2003-05-04 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey ho.

I screwed up the appearance of gnus by making *more* fonts available
on my machine.  Now, my tussling with fonts isn't *really* a gnus
question, but I hope someone here can offer some advice.

Up until last week, all was right with the world.  I had a nice
monospace font, which I think was lucidatypewriter.  This font had a
nice italic/oblique version, too (which seems to imply that it wasn't
lucidatypewriter, from what I've read).  It was all nice and pretty.

Then, I realized that my Type1, Speedo and other fonts weren't
available in X, because I hadn't loaded the appropriate modules in
XF86Config.  So, I fixed that.

Now, however, my fonts in gnus suck.  The italic font is not at all
the same size as the non-italic font.  The non-italic still looks like
lucidatypewriter, but the italic font looks different than it used to.

So, what the heck should I do?  I don't want to use colors to simulate
italic font -- gnus uses enough colors as it is, and I prefer italics
for low scoring articles.  I looked at courier, but it's not a pretty
font.  If there is another simple monospaced font that has a good
italic version, then I'd be happy to consider it.  Better would be to
figure out what font was formerly used for italic, but I don't know
how to do that.

I *do* have a laptop which has not been changed recently.  I still see
the good, old monospace italics on it, but I don't know how to figure
out what font is being used.

Sorry, I realize that this is mostly off-topic here, but my post at
comp.emacs.xemacs has had no responses at all.  I thought maybe you
guys had seen this before.

--
Jesse Hughes
"There's a thrill that's gone that I'll probably not have in quite the

* Re: Stupid font question
       [not found]     ` <84vfwpzhg3.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-05-06 17:43       ` Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2003-05-06 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>   [[ Mailed copy of news article posted to gnu.emacs.gnus ]]
>
> jesseh@cs.kun.nl (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:
>
>> I use XEmacs, so I don't get anything useful from C-u C-x =.  I tried
>> it with Emacs, but I still didn't see anything specific about the
>> font.  (I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 and XEmacs 21.1.)
>
> Does this mean C-u C-x = shows the same information for a character
> that has the beautiful italic font as it shows for a character that
> has the ugly italic font?

Sorry, I didn't do the obvious test of checking both machines.  I just
eyeballed the output and see if anything *looked* like the font
information.

However, now that I'm on the laptop, I fired up emacs to see what
C-u C-x = would show me about the italic font.  So, I went to
customize-faces and looked at the Italic face.

It's not italic.  It's exactly the same (in appearance) as the Default
face.

In any case, C-u C-x = shows only

Char: p (0160, 112, 0x70) (ascii 112)

Nothing about the font there, as far as I can see.

Here, then, is what I see.  Recall: my laptop has a smaller set of
fonts available than my desktop, because I have not enabled Type1 or
Speedo fonts there.

           Xemacs              | Emacs
Laptop   Monospace italic font | No italic font at all
Desktop  Proportional italic   | Italic font of some sort

I'm not *positive* about whether the italic font in Emacs on the
desktop is proportional or not.

--
Jesse Hughes
"Of course, my ability to admit my mistakes and correct them is a