* Dovecot not liking .authinfo?
@ 2007-03-03  1:08 Jim Crossley
From: Jim Crossley @ 2007-03-03  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

This probably isn't a gnus problem, but I've used gnus with a lot of
different IMAP servers and I've never had a problem with putting my
credentials in ~/.authinfo.

I'm trying out a dovecot imap server, and gnus simply will not
authenticate to it with what's in ~/.authinfo.  It prompts me every
time!  The perms are correct, and it works with other imap servers.
I've looked at the dovecot.conf but nothing looks strange, and I'm
pretty much using the debian defaults.

Anyone else seen this before?  Any ideas what I might try?  I'm tired
of typing in my password.  :-)

Thanks,
Jim

* Re: Dovecot not liking .authinfo?
@ 2007-03-03 16:23 ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2007-03-03 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Jim Crossley <jim@crossleys.org> a écrit
> This probably isn't a gnus problem, but I've used gnus with a lot of
> different IMAP servers and I've never had a problem with putting my
> credentials in ~/.authinfo.
>
> I'm trying out a dovecot imap server, and gnus simply will not
> authenticate to it with what's in ~/.authinfo.  It prompts me every
> time!  The perms are correct, and it works with other imap servers.
> I've looked at the dovecot.conf but nothing looks strange, and I'm
> pretty much using the debian defaults.
>
> Anyone else seen this before?  Any ideas what I might try?  I'm tired
> of typing in my password.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Comiserating, I have excatly the same problem with NoIp's alternative
port

Except that they just disconnect on me

--
Regards, Slackrat [Bill Henderson] [No _4Q_ for direct email]

* Re: Dovecot not liking .authinfo?
@ 2007-03-03 16:57   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2007-03-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Slackrat> * Jim Crossley <jim@crossleys.org> a écrit
>> This probably isn't a gnus problem, but I've used gnus with a lot of
>> different IMAP servers and I've never had a problem with putting my
>> credentials in ~/.authinfo.
>>
>> I'm trying out a dovecot imap server, and gnus simply will not
>> authenticate to it with what's in ~/.authinfo.  It prompts me every
>> time!  The perms are correct, and it works with other imap servers.
>> I've looked at the dovecot.conf but nothing looks strange, and I'm
>> pretty much using the debian defaults.

It's working just fine for me.  The problem with dovecot is that it's
hyper-configurable. :)  This is what I have in my .authinfo:

  machine smtp.example.com login merlyn password try_to_guess port imap

* Re: Dovecot not liking .authinfo?
@ 2007-03-03 20:15     ` Jim Crossley
From: Jim Crossley @ 2007-03-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ok, I figured it out...

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

>>> I'm trying out a dovecot imap server, and gnus simply will not
>>> authenticate to it with what's in ~/.authinfo.  It prompts me every
>>> time!  The perms are correct, and it works with other imap servers.

[...]

> It's working just fine for me.  The problem with dovecot is that
> it's hyper-configurable. :) This is what I have in my .authinfo:

It wasn't a dovecot problem at all.  It seems that if you specify
'port' in .authinfo, you must also set nnimap-server-port in .gnus.el,
regardless of whether you're using the standard imap port.

So given this in .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "dovecot"
                (nnimap-address "dovecot")
                )
        (nnimap "courier"
                (nnimap-address "courier")
                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                )
        )
       )

My .authinfo:

machine courier port 143 login jim password ......
machine dovecot port 143 login jim password ......

The courier box never prompted me for un/pw, but the dovecot box
always did.  I fixed the problem by simply removing "port 143" from
the dovecot line in .authinfo.  I could've also fixed it by adding
(nnimap-server-port 143) in .gnus.el.  They just have to agree, I
think.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Jim