* Re: canlock-password added to .emacs bind ones back, ending up on webpage
       [not found] <87wujyb8oa.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2003-02-18  7:38 ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-02-18  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

 DJ> Fellas, be aware that if you use oort gnus a
 DJ> (canlock-password "3a84a38d5a9355700b7da3d800d02cb372b033e7")
 DJ> will be added to your .emacs behind your back which then gets put on
 DJ> your website for all to see if you are like me an share your .emacs
 DJ> file.

 DJ> One must (setq message-insert-canlock nil) before upgrading to oort to
 DJ> avoid it.

There is another way. IMHO, it's cleaner to collect all the sensitive
local data (in my case, customize data too) in custom.el with
permissions 0600.

These are from my init file (actually, they're not needed for XEmacs
21.4, that I use -- but for compatibility reasons). They might work for
you as well.

from the very beginning:
;; Define user-init-directory for emacsen, that don't have it.
;; you may want to change it to ~/lib/emacs,or to ~/.emacs.d, or to...
(unless (boundp 'user-init-directory)
  (setq user-init-directory "~/.xemacs/"))

and from the very end:
;; finally, make customize living in separate file, if it isn't yet there
(unless custom-file
  (setq custom-file (expand-file-name "custom.el" user-init-directory))
  (if (file-exists-p custom-file)
      (load-file custom-file)))

--
       I accept RFC3156 and RFC1991-compatible encrypted mail.
PGP key fingerprint: 123A 7CCE 6E26 6233 0D87 E01A A0F8 3524 FCD8 1841

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-02-18  7:38 UTC | newest]