* using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-10 20:37 Uri Guttman
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Uri Guttman @ 2007-05-10 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server directly?
from what i can find it uses /usr/xxx/sendmail (which in my case is
provided by qmail). my problem really is that verizon fios outbound smtp
required authentication and qmail doesn't support that without a
patch. since outbound isn't an issue (i do use qmail for inbound just
fine) i thought i could bypass it inside emacs/gnus. only a few symbols
are found with smtp in them.

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-11 10:55 ` Gernot Hassenpflug
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-05-11 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:

> is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server directly?
> from what i can find it uses /usr/xxx/sendmail (which in my case is
> provided by qmail). my problem really is that verizon fios outbound smtp
> required authentication and qmail doesn't support that without a
> patch. since outbound isn't an issue (i do use qmail for inbound just
> fine) i thought i could bypass it inside emacs/gnus. only a few symbols
> are found with smtp in them.

Hi, from what I gather, gnus uses either sendmail, or an smtp.el
package to do the job itself.
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-11 10:58 ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-05-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:

> is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server directly?
> from what i can find it uses /usr/xxx/sendmail (which in my case is
> provided by qmail). my problem really is that verizon fios outbound smtp
> required authentication and qmail doesn't support that without a
> patch. since outbound isn't an issue (i do use qmail for inbound just
> fine) i thought i could bypass it inside emacs/gnus. only a few symbols
> are found with smtp in them.

gnus is a MUA, with MTA ability added with something like
smtp.el. It's not as featureful and powerful as the sendmail program
of course.

If you put a simple MTA on your machine (nullmailer,
esmtp,ssmtp,nbsmtp, or configure exim4 or postfix to act as satellite
MTAs) you'll probably have a better time of it. That MTA also receives
the mail for you if you have local delivery. AFAIK gnus cannot deliver
mail to you, but needs a backend (calling fetchmail, for instance).

HTH
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-11 16:02 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-05-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:

Hi Uri,

> is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server
> directly?

Sure, it's Gnus!

That's what I use. Adapt it too your needs.

,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
| (require 'smtpmail)
| (setq send-mail-with-sendmail nil
|       send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
|       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
|       smtpmail-smtp-server "my.isp-smtp.invalid")
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris is  currently suing myspace for taking the  name of what he
calls everything around you.

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-11 22:00   ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]     ` <mailman.554.1178966255.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-05-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, May 11 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> | (setq send-mail-with-sendmail nil

I can't find this variable in Emacs 22.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-12 10:26     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.554.1178966255.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-05-12 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Reiner,

>> | (setq send-mail-with-sendmail nil
>
> I can't find this variable in Emacs 22.

And I don't, too. Maybe it's a relict of older emacsen or gnusae, or
simply a product of my mind. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
@ 2007-05-12 12:22       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-05-12 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, May 12 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>> I can't find this variable in Emacs 22.
>
> And I don't, too. Maybe it's a relict of older emacsen or gnusae,

cvs-HEAD/emacs/lisp$ grep "[^-]send-mail-with-sendmail" ChangeLog* */ChangeLog*
[no output]
No/lisp$ grep "[^-]send-mail-with-sendmail" ChangeLog*
[no output]

> or simply a product of my mind. ;-)

:-) Or some nonsense Webpage.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2007-05-12 15:04       ` Dieter Kluenter
From: Dieter Kluenter @ 2007-05-12 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
> Hi Reiner,

>> I can't find this variable in Emacs 22.
>
> And I don't, too. Maybe it's a relict of older emacsen or gnusae, or
> simply a product of my mind. ;-)

It is an XEmacs function

,----[ f1 v sendmail-send-it RET ]
| `sendmail-send-it' is a compiled Lisp function
|   -- loaded from "sendmail"
| (sendmail-send-it)
|
| Documentation:
| Send the current mail buffer using the Sendmail package.
| This is a suitable value for `send-mail-function'.  It sends using the
| external program defined by `sendmail-program'.
`----

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de

* Re: using a smtp server (not sendmail)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-12 15:12 ` Dieter Kluenter
From: Dieter Kluenter @ 2007-05-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:

> is there any way to get emacs/gnus to use my isp's smtp server directly?
> from what i can find it uses /usr/xxx/sendmail (which in my case is
> provided by qmail). my problem really is that verizon fios outbound smtp
> required authentication and qmail doesn't support that without a
> patch. since outbound isn't an issue (i do use qmail for inbound just
> fine) i thought i could bypass it inside emacs/gnus. only a few symbols
> are found with smtp in them.

from my ~/.xemacs/custom.el

,----[ custom.el ]
| '(message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
| '(smtp-default-server "\"my.smtp.host\"")
| '(ssl-certificate-directory "/home/dieter/certs")
| '(ssl-certificate-verification-policy 1)
| '(tls-process-connection-type t)
`----

from my ~/.authinfo

,----[ authinfo ]
| machine "my.smtp.host" login "my.identity" password "my.passwd"
`----

-Dieter