* Gnus + Imap
@ 2005-05-12 20:30 Xavier PESSOLES
From: Xavier PESSOLES @ 2005-05-12 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I would like to read mail on my server with gnus.
I have installed dovecot on my computer and I use procmail to sort my
mail in ~/Mail and other subfolders.

I don't managed to find the good option of .gnus file to read my
mails.
Somebody could help me ?

(i have these lines on my .emacs :
;; Definit Gnus comme lecteur courriel
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or  cut/paste it!
 '(load-home-init-file t t)
 '(message-directory "~/Mail/")
 '(read-mail-command (quote gnus))))
)

--
xabi

* Re: Gnus + Imap
@ 2005-05-12 22:27 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-05-12 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 May 2005, Xavier PESSOLES wrote:

> Hi

Hello,

> I would like to read mail on my server with gnus. I have
> installed dovecot on my computer and I use procmail to sort my
> mail in ~/Mail and other subfolders.

Why don't you just access your dovecot Imap server directly
through Gnus and the nnimap backend ?

--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard
..O   Reims - France
OOO  +33 6 68 04 64 37

* Re: Gnus + Imap
@ 2005-05-12 23:29   ` Xavier PESSOLES
From: Xavier PESSOLES @ 2005-05-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Why don't you just access your dovecot Imap server directly
> through Gnus and the nnimap backend ?

Sorry, but I'm just a beginner and I don't know exactly what a backend
is.
However I have tried to put on letter B, I have chosen nnimap, I have
written my machine.domain.org and gnus answers :
" Unable to open nnimap:xabi.crans.org, go offline? (y or n)"

(But i can connect to my imap server with thunderbird)

--
xabi

* Re: Gnus + Imap
@ 2005-05-14  6:14 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2005-05-14  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier PESSOLES <pessoles@crans.org> wrote :

> Hi
>
> I would like to read mail on my server with gnus.
> I have installed dovecot on my computer and I use procmail to sort my
> mail in ~/Mail and other subfolders.
>
> I don't managed to find the good option of .gnus file to read my
> mails.
> Somebody could help me ?
>
> (i have these lines on my .emacs :
> ;; Definit Gnus comme lecteur courriel
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or  cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(load-home-init-file t t)
>  '(message-directory "~/Mail/")
you should change this, this is your imap folder, gnus should not use it
>  '(read-mail-command (quote gnus))))
> )

Here is a minimal example of what you need:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "YOUR NNTP SERVER"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE"
(nnimap-address "YOUR IMAP SERVER")
(nnimap-server-port 143); not necessary as this port is the default
(nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/user/.authinfo") ;useful if you want
automatic authentication
)))
Then you will have to subscribe to the boxes procmail has created with "U"
(when connected to your server)
hth,
--
  Jean Magnan de Bornier             |        Cours Victor Hugo
  e-mots: jean at bornier.net        |        13980 Alleins   France