* A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 20:34 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-07-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy
random strings. These are being used in the from header to thwart
filters. It ought to be possible to match on a high entropy string. Is
it possible? Perhaps re-use password strength measuring code.

* Re: A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 22:17 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-07-04 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

> A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high
> entropy random strings. These are being used in the from
> header to thwart filters.

Are you on Usenet with news.eternal-september.org ?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 22:37   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-07-04 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high
>> entropy random strings. These are being used in the from
>> header to thwart filters.
>
> Are you on Usenet with news.eternal-september.org ?

I am on usenet with news.solani.org . I forgot that
gmane.emacs.gnus.user is a mailing list. I am looking for a way to
filter out spam from newsgroup free.usenet although I think maybe there
is nothing else in there.

* Re: A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 23:05     ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-07-04 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:
>
>> Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high
>>> entropy random strings. These are being used in the from
>>> header to thwart filters.
>>
>> Are you on Usenet with news.eternal-september.org ?
>
> I am on usenet with news.solani.org . I forgot that
> gmane.emacs.gnus.user is a mailing list. I am looking for a way to
> filter out spam from newsgroup free.usenet although I think maybe there
> is nothing else in there.

Maybe I can use

grep -P '<.{128,}>'

on the from field?

* Re: A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 23:32       ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2023-07-04 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

>>> Are you on Usenet with news.eternal-september.org ?
>>
>> I am on usenet with news.solani.org . I forgot that
>> gmane.emacs.gnus.user is a mailing list. I am looking for a way to
>> filter out spam from newsgroup free.usenet although I think maybe there
>> is nothing else in there.
>
> Maybe I can use
>
> grep -P '<.{128,}>'
>
> on the from field?

If I say (L)ower (a)uthor (r)egular expression (p)ermanent and then
enter ^.{128,}$ that should match any from field of more than 127
characters right? It doesn't work. Nothing I have tried works.

* Re: A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on high entropy random strings
@ 2023-07-04 23:58     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-07-04 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

>>> A look at free.usenet reveals the need for matching on
>>> high entropy random strings. These are being used in the
>>> from header to thwart filters.
>>
>> Are you on Usenet with news.eternal-september.org ?
>
> I am on usenet with news.solani.org .

OK!

> I forgot that gmane.emacs.gnus.user is a mailing list. I am
> looking for a way to filter out spam from newsgroup
> free.usenet although I think maybe there is nothing else
> in there.

Probably people will say stop using Usenet so let me instead
say, good luck with that and keep us posted ...

--

@ 2023-07-05  0:05         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-07-05  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond wrote:

> If I say (L)ower (a)uthor (r)egular expression (p)ermanent
> and then enter ^.{128,}$ that should match any from field of
> more than 127 characters right? It doesn't work.
> Nothing I have tried works.

(re-search-forward "^.\\{10,\\}$")
;; hide
;; 456789