* launching gnus with multiple news servers, how to only open ONE?
@ 2005-04-01 15:05 Peter Petersen
From: Peter Petersen @ 2005-04-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the subject line says it all.

I have gnus configured for multiple news servers, but when launching
gnus I would like it to only open _one_ of the various news servers and
keep the other news servers closed.

Reason:
I normally only use _one_ regular news servers, the other news servers
are only there for the odd down time of the main server or for the
occasional look in otherwise unavailable newsgroups. And since some of
the servers are very slow and delay gnus' start-up considerably I would
like to launch gnus and only have _one_ server (the main server) opened
automatically.

Is this feasible?
I wouldn't really like to remove the other servers from the server
buffer...

thanks
Peter

* Re: launching gnus with multiple news servers, how to only open ONE?
@ 2005-04-01 15:26 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-01 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 01 2005, Peter Petersen wrote:

> I normally only use _one_ regular news servers, the other news servers
> are only there for the odd down time of the main server or for the
> occasional look in otherwise unavailable newsgroups. And since some of
> the servers are very slow and delay gnus' start-up considerably I would
> like to launch gnus and only have _one_ server (the main server) opened
> automatically.

I'd recommend the following:

- Use topics mode...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Topics") ]
|    If you want this permanently enabled, you should add that minor mode
| to the hook for the group mode.  Put the following line in your
| `~/.gnus.el' file:
|
|      (add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
`----

- Put the other servers into the "other server" topic.

- Set the level of those groups to a higher value than
  `gnus-activate-level':

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Levels") ]
|    Gnus will normally just activate (i. e., query the server about)
| groups on level `gnus-activate-level' or less.
`----

- If you want to open the "other server" groups, go to the topic in
  the group buffer and press `M-g':

,----
| M-g runs the command gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-topic'.
| It is bound to M-g, <menu-bar> <Group> <Check for new articles >.
| (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic &optional N)
|
| Check for new news in the current topic.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: launching gnus with multiple news servers, how to only open ONE?
@ 2005-04-01 17:22   ` Peter Petersen
From: Peter Petersen @ 2005-04-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> schrieb:

>> I normally only use _one_ regular news servers, the other news servers
>> are only there for the odd down time of the main server or for the
>> occasional look in otherwise unavailable newsgroups. And since some of
>> the servers are very slow and delay gnus' start-up considerably I would
>> like to launch gnus and only have _one_ server (the main server) opened
>> automatically.
>
> I'd recommend the following:
>
> - Use topics mode...
> |      (add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
> - Put the other servers into the "other server" topic.
> - Set the level of those groups to a higher value than
>   `gnus-activate-level':
> - If you want to open the "other server" groups, go to the topic in
>   the group buffer and press `M-g':

Many thanks, seems to work fine.

I have another question, but I will post a new message, for you and also
others to see it.

bye
Peter