* Yet another maildir question
@ 2004-07-21  7:47 Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2004-07-21  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey ho.

I've installed Courier imap server and it's working now, but I wonder
about directory hierarchies.

Evidently ~/Maildir is INBOX, and each subdirectory .dirname
corresponds to a group called INBOX.dirname.  This leads to fairly
unwieldy group names: nnimap+PW:INBOX.blah.  But I guess I can live
with this.  But *must* every group start with INBOX?

But I'd like the folder hierarchy to reflect the logical structure of
the group names -- I think.  At least it seems to make sense to me to
have INBOX.tue.research in INBOX/.tue/.research.  Am I wrong that this
is sensible?  Is a flat directory better?  If not, how do I get gnus
to move things the way I want?

Thanks.
--
"They are anti-mathematicians, evil incarnate, dedicated to undermining
intellectual development in this area.  If you never thought such

* Re: Yet another maildir question
@ 2004-07-21  9:46 ` Richard Watson
From: Richard Watson @ 2004-07-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Evidently ~/Maildir is INBOX, and each subdirectory .dirname
> corresponds to a group called INBOX.dirname.  This leads to fairly
> unwieldy group names: nnimap+PW:INBOX.blah.  But I guess I can live
> with this.  But *must* every group start with INBOX?

I think that's a courier thing. All folders have to live inside the
INBOX.

> At least it seems to make sense to me to
> have INBOX.tue.research in INBOX/.tue/.research.  Am I wrong that this
> is sensible?  Is a flat directory better?  If not, how do I get gnus
> to move things the way I want?

Can't you imagine that a . is a / ? ;-) Surely a flat format is as
good as anything for humanly-manageable numbers of groups?

I'm sure you can get gnus to move things around for you, but then
you'll be confusing courier, which seems to defeat the object.

--
Richard Watson
Openia Limited