* Edit From header
@ 2003-11-27 20:04 Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <un0ahypn7.fsf@cisco.com>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2003-11-27 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I write e-mails I sometimes want to change the From header of my
mail to another e-mail address of mine. I have

(setq message-generate-headers-first t)

so when I compose a new mail the From line is like this

From: Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> [1]

But I have more mail addresses, so I sometimes I want that From line:

From: Tassilo Horn <another@mai-address.com> [2]

But when I edit the From line the changes have no effect. The From line
stays like [1] when sending the mail, even if ich changed it to [2] when
composing the mail.

When I try (setq message-generate-headers-first 0) there's no From line
when composing mails, only To and Subject.

So what can I do to have my From line editable?

Much thanks in advance,
Tassilo

--
"Well, see, one of the problems with MS software is we can't even
 get it to crash reliably" (T. Max Devlin)

* Re: Edit From header
       [not found] ` <un0ahypn7.fsf@cisco.com>
@ 2003-11-28  9:59   ` Heinrich Moser
From: Heinrich Moser @ 2003-11-28  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

jpranav@cisco.com (Pranav K. Tiwari) writes:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:04:44 +0100, Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:
>> So what can I do to have my From line editable?

Just add the From line if you want it to differ from the default
line. Or use something like the following in your .emacs:

(custom-set-variables
 '(message-default-mail-headers "From: Heinrich Moser <...my mail address...>
")
 '(message-default-news-headers "From: Heinrich Moser <usenet@heinzi.at>
"))

It causes the From line to be displayed (and editable).

> See help on the variable gnus-posting-styles. It allows you to control your
> from address based on which group you're currently in. E.g.

If you need to decide on with identity to use after you started
composing your message, look into gnus-alias.el.

Greetings,
    Heinrich