* problem with sendmail-send-it
@ 2015-01-19  8:17 Hikaru Ichijyo
       [not found] ` <mailman.18139.1421672381.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hikaru Ichijyo @ 2015-01-19  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I can successfully post to Usenet, but when I try to send email in Gnus,
I get:  "Symbol's function definition is void: sendmail-send-it"

Is there a problem with using sendmail-send-it in Gnus?  I did use VM
for awhile, and it worked there, though I didn't like VM otherwise.  The
reason I'd prefer it is because I have a local network setup, and
Postfix knows whether you send mail out to the ISP or keep it on my LAN.
Since the Postfix service is on the same machine, it'd be silly if I had
to resort to SMTP to inject mail into it.

Here is an edited down excerpt of some of my ~/.emacs:

(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent
      read-mail-command 'gnus
      send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it
)

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent

* Re: problem with sendmail-send-it
@ 2015-01-19 12:59 ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found] ` <mailman.18139.1421672381.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-01-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hikaru writes:

> I have a local network setup, and Postfix knows whether you send mail
> out to the ISP or keep it on my LAN. Since the Postfix service is on
> the same machine, it'd be silly if I had to resort to SMTP to inject
> mail into it.

I am using this, to have Gnus use my local Postfix to deliver email:

  (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)

Maybe that'll work for you as well?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "HALLELUJAH!                                                 Adam Sjøgren
  Så att säga."                                          asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2015-01-19 20:36   ` Hikaru Ichijyo
From: Hikaru Ichijyo @ 2015-01-19 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Hikaru writes:
>
>> I have a local network setup, and Postfix knows whether you send mail
>> out to the ISP or keep it on my LAN. Since the Postfix service is on
>> the same machine, it'd be silly if I had to resort to SMTP to inject
>> mail into it.
>
> I am using this, to have Gnus use my local Postfix to deliver email:
>
>   (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
>
> Maybe that'll work for you as well?

That's perfect.  It looks like send-mail-function is only there to
support the now-deprecated Mail Mode, and message-send-mail-function
(Message Mode) has its own different set of allowed settings.  Thanks!