* Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-29  3:58 Wada Yusuke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wada Yusuke @ 2007-05-29  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dear users of gnus,

Hello, my name is Wada Yusuke.

I have a question about gnus.

There is a probrem in sending an E-mail
through SMTP server of Gmail.

I am using gnus-5.10.6.
I do not use 5.10.8 because there occures error
in compiling it.

When I try to send an E-mail by typing C-c C-c
in the screen of editing message,
there appears some messages in mini-buffer,
and finally comes this message:

"Sending failed; SMTP protocol error."

Sending process looks stopping here,
and the editing screen keeps its appearance,
in other words, headers and main context of the mail.
It does not come back to screen of folders.

However, the sending becomes successfull.
I can receive the messages from my main POP account,
to which I sent the E-mail through this process.

What I hope is that the message can be sent successfully
with no problem by typing C-c C-c and that the screen
comes back to showing folders.

Here I present my .gnus file:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news-est.ocn.ad.jp"))

(setq user-mail-address "yooskay@gmail.com")
(setq user-full-name "Wada Yusuke")
(setq gnus-local-domain "ocn.ne.jp")
(setq message-user-organization "OCN")

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))

(setq mail-sources
   '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
          :port 995
          :user "yooskay@gmail.com"
          :password "********"
          :stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtp-service 587)
(setq smtp-use-sasl t)
(setq smtp-use-starttls t)
(setq smtp-sasl-user-name "yooskay@gmail.com")

Here I present versions of softwares related to this issue.

Vine Linux 2.1
emacs 20.7.2
gnus 5.10.6
apel 10.7
flim 1.14.8
semi 1.14.6
starttls 0.10

If someone knows some ideas about my problem,
please tell me your advise.

Thank you.

Wada Yusuke
Asia

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-29  5:50 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-29  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Dear users of gnus,
> Hello, my name is Wada Yusuke.
> I have a question about gnus.

Hi Wada-san.

> There is a probrem in sending an E-mail
> through SMTP server of Gmail.

I've never used the Gmail SMTP server (I'll try it later though
it is a bit difficult because I'm behind the firewall).  But I
guess the cause of your problem might be due to FLIM's smtpmail.

[...]

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtp-service 587)
> (setq smtp-use-sasl t)
> (setq smtp-use-starttls t)
> (setq smtp-sasl-user-name "yooskay@gmail.com")

(Emacs's smtpmail.el doesn't use `smtp-server', etc.)

Do you use FLIM intentionally?  If not, I think you'd better use
Emacs' smtpmail.el to discuss it particularly in this newsgroup.
Moreover, smtpmail.el you use might be very old because FLIM will
not install it since 2003.  The recent one has been much improved,
supports stattls, and works with Emacs 21 even though it is for
Emacs 22.  Here it is:

http://quimby.gnus.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el

The way to use it is in the file itself.

> I am using gnus-5.10.6.
> I do not use 5.10.8 because there occures error
> in compiling it.

Could you let me know what happens when compiling Gnus 5.10.8?

Regards,

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-29 10:26   ` Wada Yusuke
From: Wada Yusuke @ 2007-05-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dear Mr. Yamaoka,

Thank you for kind advises.
I am trying things to recover the problem by reffering to your message,
though it is still not resolved. But, anyway, I put the log of compiling
gnus-5.10.8.
It is as:

Wrote /home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp/time-date.elc
Wrote /home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp/tls.elc
Wrote /home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp/utf7.elc
Wrote /home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp/uudecode.elc
Wrote /home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp/yenc.elc
make[1]: 出ます ディレクトリ `/home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/lisp'
cd texi && make EMACS="emacs" all
make[1]: 入ります ディレクトリ `/home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/texi'
if test "xmakeinfo" != "xno" ; then \
  makeinfo -I . -o gnus gnus.texi; \
else \
  rm -f gnus; \
  emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./infohack.el -f batch-makeinfo
gnus.texi; \
fi
gnus.texi:9: Unknown command `copying'.
gnus.texi:31: Unmatched `@end'.
gnus.texi:328: Unknown command `insertcopying'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `gnus' due to errors; use --force to
preserve.
make[1]: *** [gnus] エラー 2
make[1]: 出ます ディレクトリ `/home/yooskay/gnus-5.10.8/texi'
make: *** [info] エラー 2

and shell prompt appears.

I will try more things to recover the problem of sending E-mail,
but... if there is something which I can not resolve with any effort,
please let me ask another question.

Thank you.

Wada Yusuke

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-29 11:07     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-29 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I am trying things to recover the problem by reffering to your message,
> though it is still not resolved.

I tried to connect to smtp.gmail.com by passing through the
firewall, however I haven't succeeded in it so far. ;-)

> But, anyway, I put the log of compiling gnus-5.10.8.  It is as:

[...]

> if test "xmakeinfo" != "xno" ; then \
>   makeinfo -I . -o gnus gnus.texi; \
> else \
>   rm -f gnus; \
>   emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./infohack.el -f batch-makeinfo
> gnus.texi; \
> fi
> gnus.texi:9: Unknown command `copying'.
> gnus.texi:31: Unmatched `@end'.
> gnus.texi:328: Unknown command `insertcopying'.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `gnus' due to errors; use --force to
> preserve.

It seems that your makeinfo command is too old.  I use:

$ makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8

It is bundled with the GNU texinfo package.  The most recent one
is probably: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo/texinfo-4.8a.tar.gz

> I will try more things to recover the problem of sending E-mail,
> but... if there is something which I can not resolve with any effort,
> please let me ask another question.

You will get help widely in this newsgroup if you use the recent
smtpmail.el. :)

Regards,

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-30  6:05 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-05-30  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Wada Yusuke" <yooskay@gmail.com> writes:

   When I try to send an E-mail by typing C-c C-c
   in the screen of editing message,
   there appears some messages in mini-buffer,
   and finally comes this message:

   "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error."

[...]

   emacs 20.7.2
   gnus 5.10.6

Wow, sooooooo old. When i was using "GNU Emacs 21.4.1, Gnus v5.10.7", i
remember i encountered similiar problems. And to solve it, you have to
update several gnus files. i found the link that used to help me, so you
may give it a try,
  http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

especially,

,----
| If you don't want to build Emacs and Gnus from CVS you can try to
| upgrade these important files:
|
|     * Emacs: lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
|     * Gnus: lisp/starttls.el
|
| and of course pop3.el in Gnus.
`----

Good luck,

--
William

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-31  6:50 ` Wada Yusuke
From: Wada Yusuke @ 2007-05-31  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello again, I am Wada Yusuke.

After receiving some advises, I tried some things.

I tried using gnus-5.10.8 despite the compiling error,
because there seems to be no problem in using
only byte-compiled files. They were compiled successfully
before the process of texi.

I replaced the file smtpmail.el in flim directry with the one that
Mr. Yamaoka introduced me. It is the one uploaded in CVS log,
and the version is 7.1.2.9.

When I tried sending E-mail by hitting C-c C-c,
there appeard an error message that says
the problem is related to "mail-envelope-from."

After some tryings, I found that putting sendmail.el
into flim directry resolves it. There is the word
"mail-envelope-from" in the file.

However, still I cannot send E-mail.
When I hit C-c C-c, there appears an error message:

"Symbol's function definition is void: line."

I tried searching in Google the words "defun line,"
but there seemed no web page that gives me hints about this.

Could you give me a help about this problem?

Is this a function of emacs newer than 20,
or is this described in another file concerned to smtpmail.el,
or something else?

Please let me know something....

Thank you.

Wada Yusuke

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-31  7:31   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-31  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Is this a function of emacs newer than 20,

As William Xu wrote here and I wrote in the mail that I sent to
you personally, so Emacs 20 seems to be too old to run the recent
Gnus and other modules.  The most recent Gnus no longer supports
Emacs 20 even if it looks to work, and your efforts might all go
for nothing.

Why don't you try using Emacs 22.1?  Hopefully it will be released
within a couple of days.

Regards,

* Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
@ 2007-05-31  7:55     ` Wada Yusuke
From: Wada Yusuke @ 2007-05-31  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dear Mr. Yamaoka,

> As William Xu wrote here and I wrote in the mail that I sent to
> you personally,

Oh, I am so sorry, I did not know that you sent E-mail to me.
Thank you for the kind E-mail.

Sincerely,

Wada Yusuke