* Re: Splitting mail by source
       [not found] <isjoucqn.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>
@ 2004-01-06 22:12 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-06 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Moore <pf_moore@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I have 2 POP mail sources. I'd like to split my mail based on where
> it came from (to help me track which account attracts spam
> fastest). So, I'd like to put mail that I downloaded from yahoo into
> mail.yahoo, and mail that I downloaded from lycos into mail.lycos.
>
> I can't (easily) split on headers, as particularly with spam, I
> can't easily rely on any header. Is there a straightforward way of
> doing this?

Why can't you sort on the "To" headers?  E.g.:

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
   (setq nnmail-split-fancy
     '(| ("to" "your-e-mail-address@yahoo" "mail.yahoo")
         ("to" "your-e-mail-address@lycos" "mail.lycos")))

That won't snare e-mail not addressed to you, or if it has a
suppressed recipient list; I suppose you could substitute some kind
of regexp for your e-mail address, or let them go to mail.misc.  Or I
suppose you could do some sort of matching on the "Received by"
header, which ought to be specific to the ISP.

* Re: Splitting mail by source
@ 2004-01-06 23:26   ` Paul Moore
       [not found]     ` <m2ptdwticr.fsf@Stella-Blue.local>
From: Paul Moore @ 2004-01-06 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Paul Moore <pf_moore@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I have 2 POP mail sources. I'd like to split my mail based on where
>> it came from (to help me track which account attracts spam
>> fastest).
>
> Why can't you sort on the "To" headers?  E.g.:
[...]
> That won't snare e-mail not addressed to you, or if it has a
> suppressed recipient list;

That's exactly why. I'm trying to keep track of which account spam
comes from (so that I can dump the throwaway accounts when they become
too full of spam). And spam regularly has mangled "To" headers.

> Or I suppose you could do some sort of matching on the "Received by"
> header, which ought to be specific to the ISP.

Might look into received by. I'm not sure about this one.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank

* Re: Splitting mail by source
       [not found]     ` <m2ptdwticr.fsf@Stella-Blue.local>
@ 2004-01-07 18:41       ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2004-01-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> You could consider trying spam.el and bogofilter or spamassassin.

I already use spambayes if I want to filter spam. The problem here is
a little different. I've set up a throwaway mail account, and I want
*all* mail from that account in the same group - both spam and
non-spam. I'll then monitor that account, to see how fast the ham:spam
ratio gets silly. (I want to see what particular acts generate spam -
using the address in a mailing list, using it on Usenet, posting it on
a website, etc etc)

> One other thought, which may or may not be possible, might be to tie
> splitting to the mail server that you are fetching mail from.  Might
> take some finessed Lisp writing.  E.g.,
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>    (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>      '(| ("mail-source" "lycos\\.com" "mail.lycos")
>          ("mail-source" "yahoo\\.com" "mail.yahoo")))
>
> I have *no* idea if this could work, it's cobbled together with a
> *very* minimal knowledge of Lisp.  No warranty!  ;-)

That was what I was hoping might be possible, but I also have no idea
if it could work. There certainly isn't a "mail-source" header I could
use...

Thanks,
Paul
--