* SMTP AUTH?
@ 2003-09-17 22:57 Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2003-09-17 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's a good way to use SMTP AUTH with Gnus?
Similarly, SASL in IMAP, with nnimap?

* Re: SMTP AUTH?
@ 2003-09-17 23:35 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <87znh14uiz.fsf@cenderis.demon.co.uk>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-09-17 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> What's a good way to use SMTP AUTH with Gnus?

     (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("HOSTNAME" "PORT" "USERNAME" "PASSWORD")))

The password field can be nil, to make Gnus query for it each time.

> Similarly, SASL in IMAP, with nnimap?

Happens automatically.  If you don't want to enter the password
manually, add it to ~/.authinfo.

* Re: SMTP AUTH?
@ 2003-09-18  6:30   ` Christophe Cuq
       [not found]   ` <87znh14uiz.fsf@cenderis.demon.co.uk>
From: Christophe Cuq @ 2003-09-18  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chc

> Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> What's a good way to use SMTP AUTH with Gnus?
>
>      (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>            '(("HOSTNAME" "PORT" "USERNAME" "PASSWORD")))
>
> The password field can be nil, to make Gnus query for it each time.

Why not only put information in .authinfo with force keyword ?

machine your.smtp.tld port 25 login YourLogin password YourPasswd force yes

That's what I have here, and all the mail is sent by smtp-auth. I
don't have the smtp-auth-credential...

--
CHC

* Re: SMTP AUTH?
       [not found]   ` <87znh14uiz.fsf@cenderis.demon.co.uk>
@ 2003-09-18 22:17     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-09-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> What's a good way to use SMTP AUTH with Gnus?
>>
>>      (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>            '(("HOSTNAME" "PORT" "USERNAME" "PASSWORD")))
>>
>> The password field can be nil, to make Gnus query for it each time.
>>
>>> Similarly, SASL in IMAP, with nnimap?
>>
>> Happens automatically.  If you don't want to enter the password
>> manually, add it to ~/.authinfo.
>
> Sounds too easy!  That's what nnimap was trying to do with imtest,
> then?

Nnimap uses imtest for GSSAPI/Kerberos 5, which isn't implemented in
elisp yet, as far as I know.  I guess it could be used for other SASL
mechanisms too, but since SASL support is built in, I don't see why
you would want that.