* Syncing nnimap more aggressively?
@ 2004-04-17 17:18 Kinkie
       [not found] ` <iluzn9ah42n.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Kinkie @ 2004-04-17 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.
   I would like to be able to use a few mailboxes from different
client systems. I've noticed that nnimap doesn't really sync its state
with the remote system, but apparently keeps a lot of state in
.gnus.eld.

Is it possible to instruct nnimap to just store message state on the
imap server?

Thanks.

--
	kinkie (kinkie [at] tiscalinet [dot] it)

* Re: Syncing nnimap more aggressively?
       [not found]   ` <m3ad19r8cu.fsf@gamera.home.kinkie.it>
@ 2004-04-18 11:19     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-04-18 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kinkie <REAL-ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE@nodomain.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Kinkie <REAL-ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE@nodomain.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>    I would like to be able to use a few mailboxes from different
>>> client systems. I've noticed that nnimap doesn't really sync its state
>>> with the remote system, but apparently keeps a lot of state in
>>> .gnus.eld.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to instruct nnimap to just store message state on the
>>> imap server?
>>
>> Nnimap should do this.  At least if "message state" includes flags.
>> What is it that nnimap doesn't sync from the server, for you?
>
> When I access the same mailboxes from another client, I see that only
> some of the read messages have been marked as such, and not all
> expired messages have been expunged. The latter I can live with, but
> the former is annoying.

Right, and at least the former shouldn't happen.  If you (setq
imap-log t) and show us the output generated into the buffer
*imap-log* by entering a group that exhibit this, this might help.
There should be a UID SEARCH SEEN command there, which return a list
of article numbers.  Verify if this list is correct or not.  If the
list is incorrect, it is the server that has a problem (unless Gnus
somehow actually marked some of you seen articles as unseen, before
that, of course).

* Re: Syncing nnimap more aggressively?
       [not found]   ` <jwv4qrf3ku5.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.gnus@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-19 18:21     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-04-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (It does store state in .newsrc.eld too, but that's just because Gnus
>> wants it that way.  When entering a group, it will fetch new data from
>> the server.)
>
> Is there some way to tell Gnus to "ignore .newsrc.eld" sometimes?  I don't
> mind the current behavior too much if it can make things faster, but I'd
> like to be able to say "please update those `unread' estimates" when
> I occasionally read my email from some other account.

Pressing M-g should do the latter.  Completely ignoring .newsrc.eld
would be useful (I would want to get rid of that file completely, but
that's a long-term goal), but I'm not sure it is possible.  The data
in there is used by lots of functions, and there is no good API to the
data.  (Originally, I guess this was a feature, but I'm not sure it is
today.)