* going imap
@ 2003-05-13  8:27 Paul Stevenson
       [not found] ` <843cjjf585.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2003-05-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
  I decided it was time to read my mail via imap, since it is the
  'supported' way to do it here.  In fact the local imap system writes
  files directly to ~/mbox (which is how I slurped the mail before)
  and also sometimes directly into ~/Mail (there is some splitting of
  spam before the mail gets to me),  which was not really good,  but
  we are supposed to read these files through imap.

  Anyway, because of the second point,  I set gnus-home-directory to
  be something new in my .emacs file and began affresh with a very
  clean .gnus with just

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "mail"
               (nnimap-address "imap.server")
                               (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "Mail/*"))))

  since I don't want to read netnews from this account.

  So, things kinda work except that when I start up a gnus session,
  gnus doesn't know how many unread articles are in the nnimap groups
  as viewed from the group buffer.  Only after looking at an nnimap
  group do I get an unread article count.  The information is then
  lost between gnus sessions.

  Also 'g' doesn't see new mail.  M-g does, but I don't want to have
  to position the cursor over my INBOX group before I can hit some key
  to check for new mail.

  Are these just features of imap that I will learn to live with?

thanks,
Paul

* Re: going imap
@ 2003-05-13 11:29 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <87llxbvzjq.semiexecutive@boppy.dyndns.org>
       [not found] ` <843cjjf585.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-13 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <paul@gleet.org.uk> writes:

> Hello,
>   I decided it was time to read my mail via imap, since it is the
>   'supported' way to do it here.  In fact the local imap system writes
>   files directly to ~/mbox (which is how I slurped the mail before)
>   and also sometimes directly into ~/Mail (there is some splitting of
>   spam before the mail gets to me),  which was not really good,  but
>   we are supposed to read these files through imap.
>
>   Anyway, because of the second point,  I set gnus-home-directory to
>   be something new in my .emacs file and began affresh with a very
>   clean .gnus with just
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnimap "mail"
>                (nnimap-address "imap.server")
>                                (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "Mail/*"))))
>
>   since I don't want to read netnews from this account.
>
>   So, things kinda work except that when I start up a gnus session,
>   gnus doesn't know how many unread articles are in the nnimap groups
>   as viewed from the group buffer.  Only after looking at an nnimap
>   group do I get an unread article count.  The information is then
>   lost between gnus sessions.
>
>   Also 'g' doesn't see new mail.  M-g does, but I don't want to have
>   to position the cursor over my INBOX group before I can hit some key
>   to check for new mail.

Does setting `nnimap-need-unselect-to-notice-new-mail' help?

>   Are these just features of imap that I will learn to live with?

It works for me.

* Re: going imap
       [not found]   ` <87llxbvzjq.semiexecutive@boppy.dyndns.org>
@ 2003-05-13 12:11     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <paul@gleet.org.uk> writes:

> Does that mean that the loss of information about how many unread
> articles are in groups is not something I am going to be able to
> change?

No, it means that Simon sees the correct unread count.  Therefore, it
is in principle possible to see the correct unread count.  Not sure
what's going wrong there.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: going imap
       [not found] ` <843cjjf585.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-05-13 12:51   ` Paul Stevenson
       [not found]     ` <84fznjxamc.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2003-05-13 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> You are using nnimap as the primary select method.  Maybe it works
> better if you use it as a secondary select method.
>
> I recommend (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")) if you want to go
> that route (or try it).  nnnil is a backend that contains no groups.

Oh.  That is what I used to do, but one of the aesthetic plusses in
starting again from scratch is that (I thought) I could dispense with
the nnnil select method and just have a nnimap primary select method
and no secondaries... Oh well.  You are right, though.  My problems
are solved by using nnimap as a secondary select method. Thanks!

Paul

* Re: going imap
@ 2003-05-13 16:36     ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]     ` <84fznjxamc.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-13 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <paul@gleet.org.uk> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> You are using nnimap as the primary select method.  Maybe it works
>> better if you use it as a secondary select method.
>>
>> I recommend (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")) if you want to go
>> that route (or try it).  nnnil is a backend that contains no groups.
>
> Oh.  That is what I used to do, but one of the aesthetic plusses in
> starting again from scratch is that (I thought) I could dispense with
> the nnnil select method and just have a nnimap primary select method
> and no secondaries... Oh well.  You are right, though.  My problems
> are solved by using nnimap as a secondary select method. Thanks!

This is very puzzling, but it is good to have the bug isolated.  I'm
afraid I don't have time to debug this right not though... if someone
likes to, I could try to help.

OTOH this primary/secondary/foreign/etc distinction is confusing in
general.  Maybe it will disappear in No Gnus, then this problem will
probably go away too.

* Re: going imap
       [not found]         ` <8465nhoqb1.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-06-10 10:33           ` Hubert Canon
       [not found]             ` <84smqiw4pn.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Hubert Canon @ 2003-06-10 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) disait :

> Hubert Canon <hcanon@alussinan.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to have nnimap as a foreign server ?
>
> I have two nnimap servers, as secondary servers.  I don't see why it
> should fail to use them as foreign servers, either.

It works as foreign server. It works when their are two different
servers. But I have problems with two imap [gnus] servers to the same
machine [imap server]

> Can you give some more details?  What did you want to achieve?  What
> did you do?  What happened?  What did you expect to happen?

I made many actions, and I am not sure I isolated the problem.

This is what I have in my .gnus :

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      `((nnml "")
        (nnimap "free"
                (nnimap-authinfo-file ,(home "\\.authinfo"))
                (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
        (nnimap "free2"
                (nnimap-authinfo-file ,(home "\\.authinfo2"))
                (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
        ))

I have two logins for the same server.

When I open one, all the groups of the other are replaced by the first
one. And of course the opposite when I open the second.

In the past, I have used many nntp [gnus] server and nnfolders without
any problem.

I think that nnimap shares information and that it is not possible to
have totally separate connections to the same [imap] server.

I don't know if I am so clear in may explanations.

--
Hubert Canon

* Re: going imap
       [not found]                     ` <84llw679jq.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-06-14 11:55                       ` Helge Avlesen
       [not found]                         ` <84he6s2yb7.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Helge Avlesen @ 2003-06-14 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

| Hm?  You could use an encrypted file system for storing .authinfo,
| but other than that I have no ideas.
|
| It seems that LOGIN and the .authinfo file don't have anything to do
| with each other, as far as encryption is concerned.

so what methods, if any, are available for using IMAP, gnus and SSL
with the authentication info stored in an encrypted form?
I dont fully understand what the other authenticators provide in this
regard reading the gnus manual.

--
Helge

* Re: going imap
       [not found]                           ` <7265n7aaot.fsf@tindved.ii.uib.no>
@ 2003-06-15 12:03                             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-15 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Helge Avlesen <avle@ii.uib.no> writes:

> I was only wondering if there is some method similar to e.g. mozilla's
> psm, that lets you keep secrets inside the emacs session.  If I then
> connect to the IMAP server via e.g. SSL the password will only be in
> the clear inside my email client (and the server app.) if I understand
> correctly.

Ah, I see.  Well, if you do not store the password at all, then Gnus
will ask for it.  It will also ask whether the password should be
stored for the session.

You will have to enter the password again when you start Gnus again.

Is this what you want?
--
This line is not blank.