* total-expire *and* explicit expire with different expiry-wait
@ 2004-05-09 19:23 Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <m3isev2oe5.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to set up my mailing-list folders as follows:
- articles that I mark as expirable should be destroyed after 10 days.
- articles older than 6 months should also be destroyed.

To get the first, I just need to set expiry-wait to 10.
To get the second I can just use total-expire and set expiry-wait to 180.
But how can I get both (and thus resolve the conflict between the two
settings of expiry-wait) ?

        Stefan

* Re: total-expire *and* explicit expire with different expiry-wait
       [not found] ` <m3isev2oe5.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
@ 2004-05-17 19:13   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-05-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'd like to set up my mailing-list folders as follows:
>> - articles that I mark as expirable should be destroyed after 10 days.
>> - articles older than 6 months should also be destroyed.
> There is no pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing this.

Hmm... any recommendation of how to best approximate the desired behavior?
I was thinking that I could just turn off total-expire and set expiry-wait
at 10days and then have an explicit "purge" command that would temporarily
set expiry-wait at 180, turn on total-expire and cause expiration (and do
that on a bunch of different groups).

I'm not fluent in Gnu internals, so if someone can give me a rough idea of
what functions I'll need to use, I'd be very grateful.

        Stefan