From: David <de_bb@arcor.de>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: is nnimap broken? Is gnus 5.11 broken?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:20:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Well, you said in your original posting:

>Gnus is logging into my server OK, and I can get my mail via the
>server buffer, but there are no mail groups I can subscribe to.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean with "I can get my mail via
the server buffer" if you do not see any groups there.

>> on the IMAP server; your administrator should be able to help you
>> there. Also, you can remove the above line for now and see what is
>> exported by the IMAP server. If the server exports the full home
>> directory, you can limit access to the necessary mail folders through
>> this variable.
>

> Nope, this causes things to hang when it attempts to read from the
> imap server.

Maybe the IMAP server indeed exports your full home directory. This can
take a while, depending on number of files in there.

You can put

(setq imap-log t)

into your .gnus to enable IMAP logging in a buffer named "*imap
log*". You should be able to see there what's going on when you omit the
nnimap-list-pattern variable (just hit C-g after a while and switch to
"*imap log*").

If your mailboxes are stored in your home directory (this depends on the
IMAP server), you have to tell Gnus through nnimap-list-pattern where
these mailboxes are. Usually, this is a subdirectory like "~/Mail/*" or
something similar. But again, this all depends on the IMAP server.

-David