* Quick Searching of Gnus Letters
@ 2008-07-04 18:50 Kenneth Jacker
From: Kenneth Jacker @ 2008-07-04 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have been using 'swish-e' as a "search engine" for a couple of years
to provide faster access directly from withing Gnus (via "G G") to
previous letters in my groups.

Since I, of late, have been redoing some of my long standing Gnus
configuration options, I thought I'd re-evaluate this as well.

Should I continue to use 'swish-e'?  Or, do you have another suggestion?

I did check both the Emacs and Gnus FAQs as well as checking Google.

Thanks,
--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

* Re: Quick Searching of Gnus Letters
@ 2008-07-07 10:09 ` David
From: David @ 2008-07-07 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> writes:
> I have been using 'swish-e' as a "search engine" for a couple of years
> to provide faster access directly from withing Gnus (via "G G") to
> previous letters in my groups.
[...]
> Should I continue to use 'swish-e'?  Or, do you have another suggestion?

In CVS Gnus, there is nnir and nnmairix for searching mails (and also
gnus-namazu.el in contrib). While nnmairix is tied to mairix, nnir
supports several different search engines: swish-e/++, wais, Namazu,
HyREX, and IMAP. As far as I know, no one has yet written up a
comparison regarding these search engines, but one important point is
that while swish-e, wais, namazu and HyREX are universal text retrieval
systems, mairix is strictly tied to mail. If this is an advantage or not
depends on what you'd like to do with it, of course. nnmairix is
documented in the Gnus manual in CVS, but you can also look here for a
starting point:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusMairix

The mairix home page:

http://www.rpcurnow.force9.co.uk/mairix/