* Re: message-mail-p and message-news-p are confused
       [not found] <lyllsbl257.fsf@sif.musiciansfriend.com>
@ 2003-09-27  1:53 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-27  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net> writes:

> I am not sure exactly what is causing it, but it seems that
> `message-mail-p' and `message-news-p' are getting very confused lately.
> When I create a new mail message, `message-mail-p' still returns nil.
> When I try to send mail, it acts like I am sending news.

How do you create a new mail message?  With `m' from the group buffer?

* Re: message-mail-p and message-news-p are confused
@ 2003-09-27  4:53   ` Erik Arneson
From: Erik Arneson @ 2003-09-27  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-Sep-2003, Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net> writes:
>> I am not sure exactly what is causing it, but it seems that
>> `message-mail-p' and `message-news-p' are getting very confused lately.
>> When I create a new mail message, `message-mail-p' still returns nil.
>> When I try to send mail, it acts like I am sending news.
>
> How do you create a new mail message?  With `m' from the group buffer?

Yep, I hit 'm' from a mail group summary buffer, or even 'C-u m' from
the group buffer while over a mail group.  However, `message-mail-p'
still returns 'nil'.  It is pretty obnoxious.

I have `gnus-post-method' set to 'current, but I am not so sure that's
used for mail.

--
;; Erik Arneson <spam@erik.aarg.net> AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C             <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;

* Re: message-mail-p and message-news-p are confused
@ 2003-09-28  6:40     ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-09-28  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8514 day of my life Erik Arneson wrote:
> On 26-Sep-2003, Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net> writes:
>>> I am not sure exactly what is causing it, but it seems that
>>> `message-mail-p' and `message-news-p' are getting very confused lately.
>>> When I create a new mail message, `message-mail-p' still returns nil.
>>> When I try to send mail, it acts like I am sending news.
>>
>> How do you create a new mail message?  With `m' from the group buffer?
>
> Yep, I hit 'm' from a mail group summary buffer, or even 'C-u m' from
> the group buffer while over a mail group.  However, `message-mail-p'
> still returns 'nil'.  It is pretty obnoxious.

I noticed: (message-mail-p) returns non-nil only if you have 'To:'
header filled (probably, 'Cc:' and 'Bcc' are ok too).

In my posting styles I use (not (message-news-p)). It behaves as
necessary with one exception: when you press 'a' in Group buffer, both
(message-news-p) and (message-mail-p) are nil.  But I rarely use it.
Adding in summary buffer works perfectly.

As I learned from code, bot (message-mail-p) and (message-news-p)
check wither mail header ('To:' etc.) or ('Newsgroups:') exist and are
not empty.

When you press 'a' in news group, 'Newsgroups:' is automatically
filled with group name, and everything is ok.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                               Onions have layers.  Unix has layers too.

* Re: message-mail-p and message-news-p are confused
@ 2003-09-29  2:56     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-29  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net> writes:

> Yep, I hit 'm' from a mail group summary buffer, or even 'C-u m'
> from the group buffer while over a mail group.  However,
> `message-mail-p' still returns 'nil'.  It is pretty obnoxious.

What's the value of `message-this-is-mail' and `message-this-is-news'
in the message buffer (use `C-h v')?

* Re: message-mail-p and message-news-p are confused
@ 2003-09-29 17:27       ` Erik Arneson
From: Erik Arneson @ 2003-09-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-Sep-2003, Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net> writes:
>> Yep, I hit 'm' from a mail group summary buffer, or even 'C-u m'
>> from the group buffer while over a mail group.  However,
>> `message-mail-p' still returns 'nil'.  It is pretty obnoxious.
>
> What's the value of `message-this-is-mail' and `message-this-is-news'
> in the message buffer (use `C-h v')?

They are both `nil'.  Sometimes `message-this-is-news' is set to `t'.
It seems like when that happens, my mail buffers start screwing up.